Return to Website

Wecome To The Rascals-A-Go-Go Web Forum!

Feel free to discuss The Young Rascals here

Forum: Wecome To The Rascals-A-Go-Go Web Forum!
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Choo Choo Club Garfield New Jersey

The Rascals started and originated in the Choo Choo not at the Barge,They played the Choo Choo for 4 or 5 months 6 nites a week then from there they went to the Barge in L.I,they also rehearst afternoons at the Choo Choo not in Eddies Basement,Eddie had no basement in those days now he has 3 houses with basements (lol lol)All the guys all 4 of them worked the Choo Choo with all different bands before the created the Rascals
Realizing the Choo Choo was a shack that sat along the railroad tracks in a small town in Garfield N.J. we had 300 or 400 people almost evrey nite and week end 600 it was inevidable by the sound of the best band of the 60's the RASCALS where doomed for stardom,I know as much about the Rascals as anyone I listin to them evrey nite and was not only the owner I was personal an close friends of the whole 4 of them.Felix,Eddie and Dino worked the Choo Choo alot before the Rascals,Gene later on fit in like a glove(or "LIKE A ROLLIN STONE"that was Genes big tune back then.
When the Rascals left for the Barge a band called the PIGEONS organized at the Choo Choo they changed there name to the VANILLE FUDGE they too left and went to Long Island soon to be recognized by the world WITH THE supremes tune YOU KEEP ME HANGING ON,also a guy named Dean Parish had a hit record,so we had some talent come out of the shack near the railroad tracks as they called it in the city.I also ran oldie shows on Tues nite for 10 years never missing a Tuesday nite.
King Curtis was interested in buying the place from me I offered him 49% but that never materialized
I have another 100 stories about all the bands in that era they all passed through that little shack along the railroad tracks in Garfield N.J.

Email  
Re: Choo Choo Club Garfield New Jersey

Hi Sal, thanks for the info - I haven't advertised this new message board to anyone yet as I wanted to add some new things to the site first - so hopefully more people will hear your stories. We'd love to hear more - and let me know if you have any pictures of the Rascals from the old days you'd like to share.

Wendy

Email  

HI SAL YOU KNOW ME AS BARBARA BILLER,YEP I WAS ONE OF MANY OF THE REGULARS AT THE CLUB,AND EXPERIENCED ALL THAT GOOD MUSIC FROM THAT TIME,I REMEMBER YOU TELLING ME ABOUT THIS BAND COMING IN AT THAT TIME THEY WERE CALL "THEM" LATER YOUNG RASCALS WE ALL HAVE GREAT MEMORIES OF THAT TIME, LETS ALL BE IN TOUCH,BARBARA

Email  

I think Felix's mother worked next door in the old theater that was a sewing factory. My Dad was a partner in that business and he owned the Easy Shoppe,color on color hi roll shirts, teardrops and general Nicky Newark grab, that was across the street. My Mom & Dad saw them at the choo choo even before they were the Rascals and were always proud of their success.

Email  

Quote: Vito Tandoi
I think Felix's mother worked next door in the old theater that was a sewing factory. My Dad was a partner in that business and he owned the Easy Shoppe,color on color hi roll shirts, teardrops and general Nicky Newark grab, that was across the street. My Mom & Dad saw them at the choo choo even before they were the Rascals and were always proud of their success.

False Felix's mother did not work the dress shop next door(most definatly not)Felix came from Phelem N.Y.If any thing it may have been Eddies Mom being natives from Garfield,N.J.and that said if true would be many moons before the Rascals birth.

Email  

Hi Sam, I'm working on a book on Italians and The Rascals will be prominently included. Do you know what date they made their debut at the Choo Choo Club?
And, if you include your birthday I will include you as well.
As a high school musician (1966-1970), The Rascals were my favourite band and their songs were staples of our repertoire. We competed in a band contest in 1969 and one of the three songs we played was "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore." We wanted to feature "B" songs. The other two songs we played: Steppenwolf's "Sookie Sookie" and The Doors' "Love Me Two Times."
Thank you for any help.

Email  

Hi. My name is Robert but back in the 60's I was known as Bobby Valentine. I was the agent for most of the GoGo Girls in Northern Jersey. I used to book girls at the Choo Choo Club, Bird Cage, Brookside, Open Door and many others 1965-1966. I remember The Rascals as the house band back then. What memories this brings back. Wiseguys like Mickey G. (The Milk Man) and so many other guys who owned or had an interest in the Bergen, Hudson and Passaic County areas.

Email  

Hi John.
Did you ever get a reply?

Email  

Hi Robert, I did not get a reply. Would have loved to include the date in the Calendar section of the book on notable Italians I'm working on to be published in 2015. May have a few volumes as I have almost 1,300 people and another 1,300 in the queue.

Email  

Too bad. I am Italian but I don't think of any NOTE! Good luck.

Email  

Hi Robert, if you're interested, you can check out my web site on Italians.
< www.ItaliansAreBest.com >
If you're interested in the book, send me your email and I'll keep you informed. Three of the four Rascals, plus Dave Brigati are in my book.
Thanks, John

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Cheap Domains