Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Shapwick - Noah's lake

Over 350 Wigeon on Noah's lake this morning with 8 Pintail towards the back of the lake.

Female Marsh Harrier quartered through several times, putting all wildfowl with a keen eye on high alert.

Kingfisher darted past the hide, calling it's distinct high pitched whistle as it flew, only to return seconds later.

GW Egret flew low over the northeast corner, whilst a party of Bearded Tits 'pinged' their way through a thick patch of decaying reeds.

2 Chiffchaff were calling by the car park on the way through whilst several Reed Bunting fed close to a large stretch of Guelder rose.

Otherwise sightings between Meare heath and Noah's included
Cetti's Warbler
Goldcrest
Coal Tit
Buzzard
GS Woodpecker
and GC Grebe amongst the usual fare.

Cheers

Simon

Re: Shapwick - Noah's lake

Walking back to the car park from a rather blustery Noah's hide this morning, I was amazed to spot a low flying swallow battling against the wind. I hope it made it to Noah's so the 2 gents I was chatting to could see it! Is this a record?

Great record. Rare but not unheard of. When i was based on the Purbeck coast we used to get Swallows into December.
I believe one also over wintered last year around East Anglia somewhere.

Funnily enough I saw a swallow on Studland beach today. (Apologies for out of area posting).