Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Juvenile cranes

Pete, Matthew and everyone else. Many, thanks for the updates. I have been watching the Cranes for at least 3 years and this afternoon and early evening was one of the best ever. About 60 cranes in total, 2 family groups, Cranes flying, bugling calls reverberating, plus a couple of other inflight calls that I haven't heard before. However, it is not often that 60 cranes fly directly overhead when flying over the Railway Bridge. Add to the mix a superb Sunset and a rising Supermoon, pure magic.

Robin

No sign of any large numbers this morning (between 10.30 and midday) but I did see a family(?) group of four - two adults with 2 juveniles - at some distance.
At one point they were confronted by a couple of swans, at which much leaping and wing flapping ensued. All quietened down after a while.

Whilst viewing from a drove just east of Stoke St Gregory looking south towards Swell Wood a large flock of Cranes took flight. I counted 58 individuals. They flew towards the red brick railway bridge and were constantly calling.

65 including 3 juveniles seen feeding on Aller Moor from Oath railway bridge and then flying towards West Sedgemoor at dusk to roost - magnificent!

So far as I know, marsh harrier green wingtags are all from the Hawk and Owl Trust Sculthorpe Moor reserve in Norfolk. Will report at AGM this weekend.