Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OSPREY

Thanks to Steve for posting his observation yesterday.

The location and behaviour seemed a little surprising to me for Osprey so I wrote to Steve and he kindly sent me a couple of photographs that he'd captured of the bird.

Although rather distant, the resolution of the images was excellent and I was able to substantially enlarge them to see plenty enough detail to identify it.

Sorry to be a killjoy but, rather than an Osprey, it was a beautiful pale morph Common Buzzard, probably a juvenile.

Well done to Steve to capturing photos of a cracking looking hawk.

Good birding to all.

NPW

Osprey passed low over Meare village at lunchtime today. Probably the same bird seen by Alan over Meare Heath.

Wed 9th: At 1420 today we were shown a photo of an Osprey (certainly a this years model) taken flying very low over the South Drain on Shapwick Heath just 200 metres west of the Ashcott Corner car parkand just east of our viewpoint near the 'Scrape@,it had identical plumage to yesterday's Blue ringed bird. Followed up this sighting by moving onto RSPB territory and some 15 minutes later an Osprey passed West to East south of the 'Tor View' hide on Ham Wall dropping out of sight behind Loxton's. May well be the bird of yesterday that we photographed beside Meare Heath scrape. May hang around for a day or two hopefully