Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Night Heron

Bird Guides reporting a Night Heron at Ham Wall today

Re: Night Heron

Seen in flight at around 11 a.m. yesterday, from near the first viewing platform - it flew off to the trees behind the reed beds on the right hand side of the path. Also a cuckoo calling from there (seen as well).

Night Heron seen again Ham Wall this am at c0630 in Loxton's and c0920 at the back of Walton Heath - neither time by me, sadly.

Despite a 4.30am start I managed to miss both the Night and Purple Heron respectively! Still, a wonderful place to visit and many high quality birds and people met there over the past two days.

Reported as present again today - per Bird Guides

Just checked all recent BGs reports carefully - there's certainly a pattern with c.midday flight views regular - damn, should be there now...!

No such pattern emerges for the Purple Heron however.

I finally caught up with the Night Heron at around 09.00 this morning when it made quite a long flight around Waltons and headed south to land near Long Drove area. My first in Somerset!

Reported on B Guides as being present again this morning. If anyone has further details please post!

Adds weight to the set of morning sightings:
Has been seen at least 4 times 'early' morning, i.e. between 7.30 and 9.30;
And at least 5 times between 11am and 1230;
No other times though!
And all since 30th June.

Ps. Decent bit of wader habitat at the west end of the 2VP lake at the mo - you need to walk the grass path on the north side of the canal to view... Just had a Common Tern on it last night with a Green Sand flying round.

22-July-15
Adult Night Heron flew out from overhanging trees and along water channel on southern edge of Waltons at 10:50 hrs. Circled a couple of times, rising to just above tree-tops, then dropped back down into wetland immediately to the south of here. Couple of distant photos on my Twitter feed (levelsbirder)

Nice one Jeff, you got it at last!

West end of 2VP lake looking even better the other day, can't really understand why there were (and seems 'are') no waders there...

23-July-15
Two further views of the adult Night Heron from the Torr View (central) Hide on Walton Heath at Ham Wall this afternoon, at 12:30 and again at 14:45 hrs, in flight over the southern edge of this part of the reserve. Mine was the second of these sightings.