Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Exmoor yesterday

John Thorogood and I spent yesterday on Exmoor, an area which has had scant attention in this message board of late. It is therefore worth recording the fact that there is still plenty around. We started at Webbers Post, which was useful only as a car park. But going down the steep (road) hill from there we saw Willow Warbler, Wood Warbler, Pied Flycatcher and in the stream at the bottom of the hill, Grey Wagtail. But the highlight of the day came with a visit to Chetsford Water, where there were several Redstart quite close to the road, at least six Whinchat, a pair of Siskin a little further on, and both male and female cuckoos seen and heard. Altogether a very rewarding day for the second week in June!

Re: Exmoor yesterday

And an excellent cream tea before heading homewards!

lucky again,i have redstarts nesting in box probably first fledging tomorrow,usually have severalwarblers but not this year,
i am near brompton regis exmoor
ps does anyone know why long tail tits upset the redstarts so much

Earlier this Spring during migration I watched a pair of Long Tailed Tits that were nesting drive off a Male Redstart that happened to drop in. They were not a happy pair!