Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Nightjar

One male flushed from rough ground on Mendips this morning which gave good views in sunny conditions. Unusual as not at the 'normal' hotspot at Priddy.

Re: Nightjar

I went to the "normal" Mendip spot last night for the first time this year. It was an ideal evening - fine, still and lots of insects around. Nevertheless no sighting and only one burst of churring at about 10.05 pm. Disappointing considering how numerous they have been in previous years

Brian - speaking to another birder, I think they may have moved to a new site around the mendips location as the SH plantation trees have now grown too high to be an ideal site for Nightjars? I am also waiting to hear the churrrr. Anyone else heard them yet this summer?

Last night at the usual Mendip site was a perfect evening for nightjars - no wind and plenty of flying insects. Two males were churring and wing clapping on the open ground to the west of the plantation, which now appears to be totally unsuitable for nightjars.

Tried at usual Quantock site last night until 10.45 no sight or sound

Churring at a Quantock site and nearby from 10pm onward.
Some great aerial displays closely observed and a trio seen in flight at one point.

Blackdowns this evening 18/6 - nightjar heard churring from about 9:50pm, then excellent views between 10:10 and 10:20 of a nightjar flying past several times, sometimes within a few yards. Croaking call heard just once.

This was my first attempt to see/hear nightjars so I'm well pleased!