Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Spotted Flycatcher

1 near Westhay village this morning; also red kite heading north...

Re: Spotted Flycatcher

One Spotted Flycatcher at Ham Wall this morning , along the path between the two viewing platforms

One in Moor lane, Churchinford this morning - they have bred in the past locally so one hopes they will again.

A pair feeding & seemingly looking for a suitable nest site in my Butleigh garden today.

Pair of Spotted Flycatchers nest building this afternoon, Coleford. Nest site approximately 7 ft off the ground.

Pair with four eggs near Roadwater. Same tree as the past two years. Has returned to the original nest site which is less than four feet from the ground and right on the edge of the lane. You are able to look right into the nest without stopping or breaking step.

Pair of Spotted Flycatchers nest building 25 ft up, Coleford, this evening. Seemingly able to acquire all the nesting material required from within the chosen tree. Nest building relentlessly in the hour I sat quietly observing. Not sure how long it takes to construct a nest but not very long I guess. Nearby a tree was buzzing, very loud, clearly audible from 25 yards away. The tree was full of Bees. I've never experienced that before.

Hi John, It was probably a lime tree which the bees were in. At this time of year they go mad for the nectar in these trees.

Best Wishes,
Bill.

And another SF. In my garden at Cocklake. First for 15 years when they nested on the side of our porch. The only other sighting I have had near here was in a neighbour's overgrown plot 3 years ago when I watched a family feeding in the overgrown orchard area.

Spotted Flycatcher today to the South of Coleford next to the Mells Stream

Nest in my garden in Butleigh containing 3 eggs has been destroyed possibly by Magpies which have been hanging around a lot here recently

Another pair found on private land near Coleford last weekend. Possibly hatched young but status impossible to ascertain during the very short time I was there.

One seen carrying food in and around my garden in Barrington. I expect brreding is underway. The first in the immediate vicinity in 15 years - but others have nested nearby in recent years. Photos here.