Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Greylake

It's a ruff. Looks very similar to the one at Meare Heath this morning!

Hi Stuart, many thanks for the prompt reply

This bird left Greylake and 7:24 and I did not see it return before I left at 8:30.

That would fit with the Meare Heath bird. I don't know when it arrived but I'm fairly sure it wasn't there at 0630 and it was definitely there by 0840.

Green-Winged Teal showed well but distantly early afternoon from hide. Also 2M Garganey, c.3 yellow wagtail, 1 white wagtail, 2 redshank, 1 marsh harrier.

There were actually three male garganey at Greylake this morning (18/4) plus the female - supporting pics on my Flickr pages.

Also slightly better views of the green-winged teal.

Last but not least a red kite flew over at about 10:05, first I've seen at Greylake or indeed anywhere in the area.

Visited about 6pm,and after a good hr,i found the GW teal,over to the left,it showed well,also 3 Garganey,a Peregrine,about 6 Yellow wags,1 cettis,1 sedge wblr.The Teal was I think initially hidden by the suns glare on the marsh.

Superb early morning at Greylake today 16th May.

Highlights :

Red Kite
Redshank and chicks
Lapwing and chicks
Cuckoo
Bittern

Cheers, Robin

Bittern was booming and seen in flight yesterday afternoon.

Cuckoo was calling and flew close enough for a photo over the pond with the 'floating' seat.
This bird (I assume it's the same one!) has been calling from different parts of the reserve for the last week, hope it finds a mate!

A few baby Lapwings walking about in front of the high hide, getting bigger every day, the parents have done a great job in driving away any passing predators!

Yellow Wagtail was seen in the distance on the bordering fence.

Female Marsh Harrier seen patrolling the reserve and surrounding fields regularly.

Some pics on my blog.

Sunday mid-day visit brought;

Bittern in flight,
Hunting Hobbies,
Cute Mute Swan family, the male of which didn't like my presence!
Posing Reed Warbler,
Many Yellow Wagtails (Distant!),
Cuckoo by the hides,
Marsh Harrier,
Buzzard,
Gadwall,
Loud Redshanks,
Curlew,
Lapwings chasing everything,
Snipe,
Baby Moorhens and Coots,
Screeching Water Rails,
Calling Cetti's Warblers!

Some pics on my blog.

Sat 20th June

Lovely to see 2 cuckoo flying all over the place.

Also, Marsh Harrier, Bitterns including a visit to the reeds to the left of hide entrance, Yellow Wagtails, Cygnets growing up quickly, Redshank & Lapwing chicks seen from the open hide and a Hobby. Also let's not forget to mention "Mr Grumpy Swan" who should be very proud of his family by now!!

I was also there but in the afternoon,as I was heading towards the hide my heard a loud plop only to discover that a leveret had fallen the water we watched him to the side and looking very soggy shook himself and hopped off.i was really surprised to see a hare swim.take care 5