Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Green-winged Teal

Presume this is a Male Roger ? For what its worth and in case it disappears, I took a yomp up the south bank of the Axe and about a mile east of Bleadon Bridge yesterday, looking for Goosander and Goldeneye, saw none of those but there was a flock of about 30 "flighty" Teal on the bend in the River just beyond the cattle bridge that can be seen from the A370 Bleadon Bridge, I didn't check them for oddities. There were also a few more East of the Bridge near Whitehouse Farm at Loxton. Not much else of interest along there except a couple of Green Sanpipers.

Yes, it was a smart male. Not sure I could tell a female! You do get Teal higher up the Axe and on the Cheddar Yeo, but I don't walk that bit very often. Green-winged Teal are uncommon, but they seem to mix with Teal, so it is always worth a look at this time of year if you come across a flock.

Still present on the rising tide this lunchtime.

Present again today on the incoming tide between 13.30 and 14.00.

Present on the incoming tide at just before 3pm. It was still distant at that point but moving closer. If anyone else is going to try we'd recommend waiting for the tide rather than hanging around for two hours in the cold like we did!

Earlier there were two Green Sandpipers and a pair of Gooseander up river from Bleadon bridge,

18-Feb-15
HW on the Axe Estuary was at 18:33 this evening, so I arrived on the sandy-beach at Uphill, in front of Weston Yacht Club, at 16:00, a little bit early as it turned out because only a few teal visible. At 16:30, on the slowly rising tide, I eventually picked out two small flocks, each of about 20 birds, and the Green-winged drake was with those in the channel nearest its northern bank. I didn’t watch it for long as I had to hot-foot it back home to Street remembering to stop and buy some gravy granules for the roast-dinner Kay was preparing – it was yummy!!

HW here over the next few days will probably not be suitable until Monday, when it’s at 09:50, or Tuesday at 10:30, assuming being there 2 hours before this.