Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Greylake 24/1/2015

A gloomy few hours spent at Greylake this morning 25/01/2015 had its reward ,three Peregrines perched on their favorite Old Oak tree away to the right of the hide they occasionally made attacks on the resident Buzzard, the juvenile bird seemed to be the most aggressive the Green tagged Marsh Harrier put in an appearance but drifted off to the left.Snipe were busy feeding close in front of the hide, Little Grebe seen yesterday ,Water Rail seen from the track,to and from home five Buzzards at different locations.

Re: Greylake 24/1/2015

Just to correct my posting from yesterday, the were 3 Peregines in the air yesterday morning. Only just spotted the third in my photographs.

Spot three Peregrines..... (much larger on Flickr)
3 Peregrines hunting at Greylake

and the rest of the action

Peregrines take on all comers

Raptor Hunting

Re: Greylake 3/1/15

On the way to Greylake a visit to Catcott Lows and I can confirm the two Barnacle Geese were present at 9.32 this morning. At Greylake good numbers of Duck including a large number of Pintail ,a Peregrine flew in and hit down a Duck? but it appeared that the intended victim hid in a large clump of grass after, 5 seconds the Peregrine gave up and flew off without a catch, Lucky Duck?it was then chased by a Crow and gave up.Two buzzards seen on the return journey home.
Peregrine photos on website.

Raptor day at Greylake 06/02/2015 Perfect light ,stage set for the first visitor the green tagged Marsh Harrier, soon followed by a well marked female Marsh harrier with distinctive white markings on the upper wings,a male bird also sighted but a Buzzard was the show stealer, not sure whether it hoped to catch a Teal but it approach a group of Teal talons extended but had to be content to watch the Teal depart.A Peregrine made a high speed pass, two Peregrines perched in the dead tree A flock of 25 Dunlin made several high speed passes but did not stop.Snipe about seven,good numbers of Ducks.
Photos on Website.

Today highlights at Greylake 18/02/2015 great light for the cameramen. A leucistic Coot,plus 20 other Coots on site, similar numbers of Snipe, one Curlew ,a flock of 30/40 Dunlin, two Peregrines perched on the fence posts one with a full crop, the juvenile bird made a very fast attack with a spectacular stoop before settling on the fence post, two Moorhens ,Heron being attack by two Crows, Duck numbers seem to be down on previous visits one Little Egret and the green wing tagged Marsh harrier (marked LI) .Three Cranes spotted by a visitor flying in the direction of Catcott.
Photos on website.

At around 11:00 there were five, possibly six curlews.

Steve Balcombe
At around 11:00 there were five, possibly six curlews.

Sorry, to be clear that refers to today 1/3/2015 at Greylake. The facility to edit seems to have disappeared!

Bit off topic but I love your pics