Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
West Sedgemoor RSPB

An enjoyable morning visit by the Weston RSPB group yesterday was led by Nigel Smith. There are spectacular numbers of birds there at the moment. Waders included Lapwing, Golden Plover, Dunlin and Ruff. Wigeon and Teal in very large numbers and plenty of other ducks. A flock of around 100 Canada Geese contained 3 Barnacle geese. a Whooper Swan and a distant ringtail Hen Harrier were other highlights plus at least 2 Peregrines. Last but not least, 3 Common Cranes flew across in front of the Barn Hide. On my return towards Moorland I saw a Green Sandpiper fly from a roadside ditch. Altogether a big boost to my year list! For those not familiar with arrangements there, access to the reserve is only possible on arrangement with RSPB who have regular advertised visits with a guide.

Re: West Sedgemoor RSPB

Next available visit is January 24th, 10.00h.
Booking essential; phone 01458 252805 (office hours).

Re: West Sedgemoor RSPB

Due to demand a further 'Walk' has been arranged for January 31st at 10.00h.
Meet; Dewlands Farm, Heale Lane, Curry Rivel; ST381264.
Booking essential; Phone RSPB; 01458 252805, Mon-Fri, Office Hours Only.

Re: West Sedgemoor RSPB - Saturday 31 January walk - time change

The time for the additional 'Walk' for January 31st has been changed to 2pm-4pm. Meet; RSPB West Sedgemoor, Dewlands Farm, Heale Lane, Curry Rivel; ST381264. Booking essential; Phone RSPB; 01458 252805, Mon-Fri, Office Hours Only.