Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Whooper Swans

5 Whooper Swans flying north-west over Westhay Heath at 8.30 this morning (Monday 29th December). Also kingfisher and 2 bearded tits there.

Re: Whooper Swans

3 whoopers among mute swans yesterday on Aller Moor.

And 5 adult Bewicks on West Sedge Moor on Sunday but unfortunately they flew off east early Monday morning.

a whooper at Decoy 27th and 28th

There are still 2 Whooper Swans on Aller Moor. View from Stathe at the River Parrett crossing

On Aller Moor this morning, 2 yellow beaked swans, discernibly smaller than the accompanying mutes, Iook like Bewicks to me

Hi Paul, Do these photographs that I took on Sat morning, help with the ID of these 2 swans on Aller Moor?

Bewicks or Whoopers?

Bewicks or Whoopers?

Larger images on my Flickr site

thanks, Robin

Hi Robin, I searched all of Aller Moor from the confluence with the Tone right down to past the Black Smock pub, only yellow beaked swans I could find were 2 birds, both were smaller than the accompanying Mutes. Where exactly were you when you took these pics.

Definately Whoopers, key is that the yellow on the bill extends below the nostril. Good find

Hi Paul, the two Whoopers are/were located in the field to the left of Stathe Drove. In Stathe, this drove crosses the Parrrett and Sowy. The Whoopers were sleeping among the Mutes and it was only because I waited while watching the Cranes that I noticed them as they had woken up.

Robin

2 Whooper Swans on Aller Moor Saturday morning at ST37816-29178 with herd of Mute Swans. Sunday morning no sign Mute Swans but there were 2 Bewick Swans at ST38173-27978 with 25 Mute Swans feeding in the flooded area on top of river bank. (Viewed from railway bridge)

Adjacent to the rail bridge in the flooded area on Sunday morning,is where I saw the Bewicks, seems there are 2 Bewicks and 2 Whoopers using the Moor.

2 Whoopers on Curry Moor this morning, between Lyng and Hook Bridge

Whoopers still present on Curry Moor today, on floodwater near Hook Bridge

4 Whoopers now. The pair N of Hookbridge which have barely moved and another 300m east of Newbridge.

One Whooper Swan still on Noah's Lake this pm, best viewed from main track.