Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Greylake .

If the season of goodwill existed at Catcott Lows RE
James Crutchley`s post it certainly did not apply at Greylake, Peregrine took a Teal and flew of to enjoy a pre Christmas lunch, two Female Marsh Harriers created pandemonium amongst the several thousand winter ducks , a sight to behold,three Little Egrets on site.Very cold morning, advice for visitors, wrap up warm.
Wishing everyone a Happy Christmas and I hope you all have a great years Birding in 2015.

Re: Greylake .

So that's where all the raptors went...

I would of liked to have seen a festive Peregrine.

A cold frosty start to the day 28/12/2014.Duck numbers substantial with two Pintail visible when the birds took to the air on the approach of a male Marsh Harrier that was being harried by a very persistent Crow. Returning via Shapwick one Buzzard another at the entrance to Shapwick reserve.

An hours visit at lunchtime today revealed the usual Wigeon, Shoveler and Teal, plus a resting Pintail in front of the hide.
There were also 4 or 5 Snipe quite close to the hide, so far there hasn't been the numbers of previous years, though it's still early!

Pics on my website.

A hard frost 29/12/2014 reduced the open water for the Greylake Ducks, numbers seemed to be reduced,Male marsh harrier paid a visit also a Buzzard,Stonechat and Meadow Pipit seen ,twenty Black -tailed-Godwits flew in and joined the Ducks ,several Snipe were also present.Photos on Website.

Also a Peregrine on a very distant fence post along with a Kingfisher fly by!

A brief visit to Greylake this afternoon , a Snipe obligingly feeding close to the hide but the Highlight of the visit were the two DEAD Pheasant in front of the hide!!!

The 2 dead Pheasants must've been dumped by someone hoping to attract Buzzards in!

2 Water Rails ran across the ice in front of the hide this afternoon,
A Kingfisher and Raven flew past.
10+ Dunlin flew through.
Stonechats came very close and posed!
Highlight was a Peregrine that caused chaos amongst the ducks at about 15.45, it singled out a Teal but just missed the kill. It tried again a few minutes later, again unsuccessful and flew over to land on a favoured electricity pylon to the right.

Pics on my Blog!

Let's hope the Phesants weren't poisoned as sometimes happens when they are put out by the unscrupulous

Most likely a form of 'protest' by anti-conservation types.
Its not an unusual occurrence to have dead birds(often protected species!)dumped at RSPB nature reserves.