Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Richard's Pipits at Stolford

Apologies for late post on here, but there were 2 Richard's Pipits just inland of the seawall between Stolford and Hinkley Point this afternoon, stil present to 4pm at least.

I found them about 1.15pm, and initially was not certain about the ID (calls heard first suggested Blyth's not eliminated), but my phone was low on battery and signal is patchy out there, so I only managed a call to Rog to spread the word, and one tweet later to confirm the ID as Richard's, following better views.

The birds were ranging most of the way along between the cottages and the gate before the power station, but spent most of their time in the fields just inland of the track either side of the Great Arch outfall and further along where the fence by the track starts and the concrete path goes down a short slope to join the sea defences. Quite vocal on the ground and in flight, they gave good views on and off most of the rest of the afternoon.

Given the overnight cloud and fog forecast, there's a decent chance they'll still be around tomorrow.

Re: Richard's Pipits at Stolford

All three birds still present today, in the same area as explained by Julian.
Nice find Julian!

As well as the 3 Richards pipits at Stolford today, a short walk away at hinkley point there was a black redstart showing well along the seawall also several brent geese (pale and dark bellied) 7 pintail, and 19 common scoter on the sea

All 3 birds still present near the cottages and outfall this morning, again very vocal in flight

4 Richards Pipits this afternoon; 14:30hrs. 2 together + 1 in the grassy meadow between Stolford cottages and the Great Arch Drain. Another bird further towards the power station just before where barb-wire fence joins wooden fence by side of gravel road. All birds called frequently in flight and not many Meadow Pipits about so location not difficult although difficult to see in grass.

I agree with Peter. 3 just past the cottages & 1 up by the barbed wire fence. Calling quite often when in flight. Hard to find to start with in the strong wind.

One Richard's Pipit seen in field just past cottages at about 3pm today - Jeff Hazell got some pictures! Earlier I flushed it from near the drain about 400 yards along the path towards Hinkley point.

Myself and John Rickards saw all 3 pipits in the field just after 11am for about a half hr,then lost them,also good nos Wigeon & Pintail on the sea & a few Scoter,at Steart we had big flocks of Knot & Golden plover,1 fem Sprawk and 2 SE Owls on Wall common to round an enjoyable day off!

Two Richard's Pipits eventually showed well about 12.30 today, having given only brief flight views during the previous couple of hours

Only 2 brief flight views c/w calls of 2 of the Richard Pipits at 12.00
today 100yds past cottages also 24 C Scoter offshore there

I had a brief flight view of one (calling) most of the way towards the power station at 11.30. Otherwise no views in 2.5 hours. Also a grey wagtail by the power station fence, and a solitary female common scoter on the sea, along with lots of dabbling ducks.

Whilst walking back from Hinkley Point this morning while carrying out that section of the WeBS count for Bridgwater Bay a Richard's Pipit flew up off the bank of the field described by Simon in the last posting - about halfway along the track where the fencing starts - it dropped back into the field behind the fence. Further along towards Stolford between Great Arch outfall and the cottages two people walking there dogs through the rough grass put another two which flew back behind the cottages.

On the WeBS count an adult Little Gull on the outfall at Hinkley and 24 Common Scoter offshore there. Earlier at Stolford an immature drake Scaup on the sea and 11 Pale and 4 Dark-bellied Brent Geese which flew off towards Hinkley Point.

One of the Richard's Pipits was feeding in the first field of shortish grass immediately after the cottages at Stolford at midday.
At Hinkley Point there were four Purple Sandpipers on the water intake tower, the first I've seen here this year. A flock of 25 Common Scoter were offshore here and the adult Little Gull was over the outfall. As the tide dropped nine Pale and six Dark-bellied Brent Geese flew into feed.

One Richard's Pipit still present 3pm today (per rog Musgrove). Sadly I didn't look hard in the fields this morning, so didn't see it, but 19 Common Scoter and 2 female Scaup offshore over high tide, and 2 Pale-bellied Brent Geese flew east. Also 85 Turnstones and 10 Ringed Plovers roosting on the shingle just off the seawall near the cottages.

Single Richard's Pipit in the first field past the last Cottage at Stolford today, Hinkley Pt side. A most welcome addition to my County List.

4-Jan-14
I saw one of two seen here on the 2nd, and both were still present today, per Twitter.