Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pale Buzzards

On my way to a job in Wells, I noticed what I thought was an immature Gull in a field on the right. In fact it was a very pale Buzzard, especially on the face, breast and legs. Later on I returned to get some photos' and discovered another pale bird, similar to the other one but with a creamier breast. Altogether there must have been around 6 or 7 buzzards in the field, feeding on Worms and other invertebrates I presume,as the field had been ploughed.
I remember a few years ago someone reported a Buzzard that was almost white in east Somerset, is this Bird still around?. It was,I think in a village near Frome,beginning with a v or w.

Why do Buzzards vary so much individually,must be a reason.

Re: Pale Buzzards

Oops, nearly forgot. The Bird was in a ploughed field on the right between Glastonbury Road and Woodford lane, just before a row of shops on the left as you approach Wells.

Re: Pale Buzzards

While living in Keinton Mandeville 7 years ago, I regularly watched a 'white' buzzard feeding on the fields to the west of the village. It mixed freely with other feeding buzzards and was a regular for a couple of years. Regrettably I never managed to trace it back to a nest.
A second very pale buzzard regularly fed with over 20 others on the large ploughed field east of Castle Cary railway station.