Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Green wing tagged Marsh Harrier

I have received a reply ref. the green wing tagged Marsh Harrier seen on two days recently over Noah's Lake Shapwick Heath on Thurs 6th. and Mon. 10th. Nov. and identified by it's LI black digits on the green background as follows;

"
Hi Alan,
L1 was ringed and tagged at the RSPB reserve Lakenheath Fen on 18.06.2014, and sexed as a female. It was one of two with its' sibling being a male. It was seen at Martin Mere WWT reserve on 27.09.2014, and again near Tarlscough on 20.10.2014."

So this Somerset sighting is only it's third hopefully it will stick around and add to the genetic mix in our area.

Re: Green wing tagged Marsh Harrier

Saw this Harrier at Catcott on Sunday whilst looking at the Bewicks Swans, then yesterday I found it feeding on the remains of a duck (carrion?) at West Sedge Moor!.

Present again at Catcott Lows this morning. I could not read the letters but it was the juv. with a single green tag.

And there was I worried that I had not seen it again on West Sedge Moor since last Wednesday!

It was just trying to keep you guessing, Nigel. Perhaps it thinks the victuals are better in this neck of the woods or perhaps it just likes company - there were three others in the area with it this morning plus a rather irritated peregrine!

Present over Shapwick Heath from 15.15 hrs today. I notice Alan saw it earlier at Catcott Lows. Again unable to confirm the tag letters!

Wish the ringers (H&OT) would reply to emails on this bird. It undermines the whole study process!

It was at Ham Wall at dawn this morning, hunting over the site of the starling roost.

Tagged female still present today at Catcott - did capture a distant view but no chance of getting the letters or numbers. Other MHs and peregrine present too.

Wonderfully close pair of stonechats : http://wildlifewanderings.blogspot.co.uk/

"L1" was having a good day at Catcott Lows on Saturday afternoon

Marsh Harrier

Nice pic!

Absolutely splendid photograph by Robin Morrison - a dream image for the person(s) who ringed and marked the bird. Thanks for sharing Robin.

It seems highly probable that this was the tagged individual that I observed at Steart Marshes this morning. Details here or via the website link below.

http://pub13.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=1065729998&frmid=14&msgid=920568&cmd=show

NPW

Details of L1 received today.

Hi Robin,

LI was ringed and tagged at the RSPB reserve at Lakenheath Fen on the Norfolk/Suffolk border on 18.06.2014. She was sexed as a female, with her sibling being a male. Once she left the area, she was first re-sighted at the WWT reserve at Martin Mere, Lancashire on 27.09. She was then seen in Lancashire on 20.10, before turning up at Shapwick Heath on 06.11. She seems to have taken a liking to the area, being seen at the RSPB reserve at West Sedgemoor on 3.12, before your reported sighting on 20.12.
Thanks again,
Phil Littler
North West Norfolk Ringing Group

Thanks for sharing this information Robin

This tagged individual is providing some interesting insights into its wintering behaviour and movements within Somerset.

Season's Greetings to all.

NPW

Sorry all, but in my haste to publish details of LI, I forgot to say thanks to Nick and James for the lovely comments on my photograph

Present today, late afternoon, on Meare Heath. Also, recently reported from Catcott Lows, so hopefully set to spend the second winter period on the Avalon Marshes.