Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bewick's swans?

On 4th November afternoon two local farmers observed a skein of about 35 birds flying over Town Tree Garden and Nature Reserve near Martock. They believed them to be Bewick's swans, recalling their presence in good numbers in the location albeit many years ago. The birds circled but did not descend on the main pond and headed off in the direction of Ham Hill. They were in 'V' formation and I quote 'making a hell of a racket'.
I was surprised that such a skein of this size should have eluded the gaze of birders in the area and remained a little sceptical, however I see on the Slimbridge web page today that they received their first 9 migrant Bewick's today.
Curiouser and curiouser said Alan
Can any one add anything to the mystery?

Re: Bewick's swans?

Perhaps it was some of the reintroduced Cranes that have about the South Levels these past few days in flocks of 30 to 70(ish) and very noisy at times

You may well be right, Nigel.

Two of the released cranes showed interest in the Town Tree Farm area between late March and mid July, and both farmers heard their calls on numerous occasions hence I discounted cranes.

On reflection however, unless further information comes to light, you seem to have hit upon the most probable explanation. Thanks for the interest.

While Cranes are a possible explanation either Bewicks or Whooper are likely to be arriving in the area about now and could easily be overflying us.