Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Whooper Swan

One today on Noah's Lake hiding among some Canada geese while resting and preening. Also, seen flying over, one goosander.

Re: Whooper Swan

Further to my first post, this bird showed some oxide staining on the head and neck which I don't remember noticing on the Meare Heath bird seen in October, so it may be a different individual. (Anyone who took photos of the earlier bird may be able to clarify).

Hi Sandra, the Whooper present on Meare Heath scrape on 22/10 had pale 'orangey' staining both on the head and on the breast. I have a couple of half reasonable images still on my camera I will show tehm to you when our paths next cross

Thanks Alan, probably the same bird again then. The bird today was resting up by the old shed and only visible from the main track. It was ages before we even noticed it was there! Hopefully, you may catch up with it too.

A single Whooper was on Noah's again today it has ginger'ish staining on it's head but it is more coloured than the bird seen on Meare Heath scrape on 22/10 . Two of us had pictures of that original bird to hand today and came to the conclusion that we were looking at a second bird.

Single bird still on Noah's Lake this morning but only just visible from the main track.