Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ilminster - Buzzard and Golden Plovers

It is lovely to see the Buzzards gathering in the fields at this time of year. There is one such gathering at Dillington just outside Ilminster. So far I have seen nearly forty but the numbers vary on a daily basis.

With such a large gathering, it is really possible to see the huge range of colours that these birds can have. They range from a very dark brown to an almost pure white one. This very pale example only has brown on its wing edges, a very striking bird indeed. It took me a couple of days to confirm that it was a buzzard and not something more interesting.

Also, in other such gatherings that I have observed, the birds are normally very laid back. This gathering is very different in that there are often squabbles. (See my Flickr page for photos). Although I have no scientific evidence, the paler birds are the more aggressive and will often launch maraudering attacks when there is easy food about.

In addition there is occasionally a small flock of Golden Plover that fly over the area in the early morning.

Re: Ilminster - Buzzard and Golden Plovers

thanks for the heads-up Robin .
I'm just along the road at Merriott so I'll pop over tomorrow and see if I can get some pictures. I presume that the field is on the Petherton Ilminster road ,? hopefully they'll be somewhere to park.

Apparently there is another gathering every year opposite the Travellers Rest Pub at Roundham on the Crewkerne Chard road but I've not seen it myself yet .

Last week I mentioned the gathering buzzards in a field near Ilminster. Sadly this week, two were killed on the road next to the field. In my experience it's not often that buzzards are killed in this way. What is slightly surprising is that these birds were killed at night. This road always has dead pheasants and rabbits so I can only assume that they were either eating a road kill or fighting over a kill and became victims themselves.

I wasn't aware that buzzards are active at night. Does anyone know if this normally behaviour for buzzards?

thanks Robin.

Couple of rather sad photos

Road Kill - Buzzards

Road Kill - Buzzards

On Friday morning whilst it was still dark a Buzzard drifted across in front of my car on the edge of Queen Sedge Moor which I found a tad surprising. Doesn't answer your question admittedly.

The Dillington office yard and car park area is directly opposite the field and it is well illuminated at night . Perhaps that may have some bearing on their behaviour

Thanks John. That is a good point. The yard lights may be having an affect. Sadly buzzard number seem to be dropping now rather than increasing so I might have a look at the site you suggested.