Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Unusual Peregrine Behaviour

Some Peregrine behaviour at Chipstable, which I had never previously seen. Wondering if anyone has any comments:

Sunday 28th September, 1545h, two Peregrines flying at perhaps 200 feet, one apparently in pursuit of the other, flying a few metres behind and eliciting a gull-like two syllable cry about every two seconds. They flew for about a mile, in my view, their trajectory taking them from Bulland direction, over Chipstable Church and over the fields towards Raddington (vaguely north-east to south-west). As this "chase" was taking place, the rear bird intermittently ceased to flap, and raised its wings in a v-shape glide (like a Nightjar!) and then resumed the chase.

Then the rear Peregrine broke off the chase and returned the way it had come, still calling in the same manner as before, but intermittently gliding with raised v-shaped wings and then returning to leisurely flight.

What was going on?

This is the first time I have seen two Peregrines together at Chipstable. But... one last point! - the front bird might just have been a Hobby! I was concentrating on the rear bird, without bins to hand.

Nevertheless, does anybody have any insights into what that raised wing gliding might be about?