Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Swallow Roost , West Chinnock

Over the last week or so Swallows have been gathering in ever increasing numbers and then roosting in Maize fields as observed by Adam Gale who lives in Highfield road over looking the fields. Last Saturday evening huge flocks could be seen high over the fields and then pitch into the Maize Anyone interested in seeing a large Swallow roost would get the best view by locating the Maize fields on the A356 between West Chinnock and Balham hill.
JR.

Re: Swallow Roost , West Chinnock

In addition to Johns post, there are some large maize fields to the east of the A356 & south of West Chinnock, in the Rushy Wood/ Bakers Farm area. I suspect they have been using these as well.

If seen well the roost is spectacular but it is impossible to know where it is going to be, or even if it will happen as I guess they will soon be off. My guess is that they will use any of the maize fields in this are, maybe beyond, as I only managed to track down the roost last night from a vantage point on West Chinnock hill.

If they do roost in this area this evening they can normally be seen arriving in small groups from 6.20/630 onwards, culminating in hugely impressive 'clouds' of hirundines before dropping in to the maize at dusk.