Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Kennard Moor

Lots and lots of Goldfinch in several groups on the moor, easily 200, I would have thought? There was also a large flock of Geese that flew overhead. About 70 I would think – not too sure what they were as they were a long way off.
I note there’s been some ‘Greylags’ on the reserves, so perhaps it was them?
I did manage to track down about 8 Whinchat, in various scattered locations on the moor, along with a similar number of Stonechat.
A couple of ‘canary yellow’ Willow Warblers feeding with Tits in bushes that was full of berries. There was a Lesser Whitethroat and a couple of Common Whitethroats doing the same.
Also: Skylark, Reed Bunting, Linnet, Buzzard (5), Kestrel (2), Lapwing(3) and lovely views of a Doe Roe Deer grazing close by.

Re: Kennard Moor

Opposite to last year then Gerry. I failed to locate any Chats at all yesterday afternoon!!

Best Wishes

John

Re: Kennard Moor

Hi John,
This morning, at the Coxbridge end, in the last three fields - with bales in them, there were approximately 12 Chats. Some were in the further field, across the rhyne, of these at least two were Wheatears. It’s quite nice to have Stonechat, Whinchat & Wheatear all together on the same fencing, though Whinchat & Wheatear are not easy to tell apart, from a distance, at this time of the year! A scope is a good idea.
There’s a footpath alongside the field mentioned and you can get some nice views of the birds that are the ‘furthest away’ from here!
The Goldfinch total is now 300 (3 charms) - as you walk across the moor.
Also this morning: several Raven, a Kingfisher & 2 Kestrels. No Meadow Pipits as yet, though there are usually plenty on the moor in September.