Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cheddar Res

Still a little quiet for the time of year, but the highlight this evening was a Yellow Wagtail in with a flock of c50 Pied Wagtail and 3 Grey Wagtail. Coot numbers building up quickly now with 720 present.

Re: Cheddar Res

Singles of Little Stint, Ringed Plover & Common Sandpiper - now at Cheddar Tower

15-Sep-14
The juv Little Stint and juv Ringed Plover still feeding by the Cheddar inlet-tower this afternoon.

Couple of close-up photos of the stint on my website

Could not find the Little Stint this evening, but Ringed Plover and Common Sand present. Coot numbers building up quickly now with 1250. Also 45 Pochard, 3 Wigeon and 6 Teal my first autumn records.

Flock of 8 Egyptian Geese turned up this evening. All unringed so presumably some wandering feral birds.

Tawny owl calling very loudly this morning [07:00] in the lane just off the res

Good numbers of Coot now with 1700 + present. Big influx of Pochard this week with over 300 this morning.

last two days at around 07:00 gathering of some 40+ swans with the addition of at least 10 cygnets, and in excess of 90 canada geese

pair of Tawny owls in the same lane early this morning

No sign of the Diver this morning, but big increase in Pochard during the week, now up to 493. 1 Red-crested Pochard and 1 Little Grebe. Still no Goldeneye!

First Goldeneye of the winter, a male, yesterday morning along with 2 Red-crested Pochard.

Single Goldeneye and Red-crested Pochard along with 535 Pochard this morning.

The two female-type Red-crested Pochards still present this afternoon. Also a probable Tufty x Pochard hybrid which had me going for a while - looked like it could be a 1st-winter drake Lesser Scaup while asleep, but when I finally got a good look at the bill-tip pattern a hybrid origin seemed much more likely.

3 Goosander noted near dusk, but nothing unusual picked out of the gull roost.

2 Red-crested Pochard again this morning along with singles of Goosander and Goldeneye. Excellent count of 650 Pochard.

2 Red-crested Pochard this morning again. Still good numbers of Pochard with 550, single Goldeneye and 2 Peregrine on the Fry's Hill mast.