Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Catcott NR

More in hope than anything else I went to Catcott NR today. To my surprise there is a new hide on the southern side of the reserve, The hide is on stilts and commands good views over open water to the north and over farmland to the south. The open water yielded two families of Little Grebe, whilst the hide appears to be an excellent raptor watch point. In half an hour I saw five Buzzzard, two Marsh Harrier, a Kestrel and a Hobby. And in the woods close to the hide there was a family of six Spotted Flycatcher. Altogether a good experience.

Re: Catcott NR

Hi, could please tell me how to get to this new hide? Is it over the new wooden bridge through woods on left, as you look towards the hide or do you go down the track on right? Cheers and well done on raptor spotting.

Walk along east-west drove at Catcott. You will see the new hide on the right after a few minutes. Then cross the first new wooden footbridge you come to and it will lead you straight to the hide

Thank you Brian, will visit this week.

Paid a visit to this hide which is a very welcome addition to the levels overlooking some excellent habitat. Birds of note included: a family of Little Grebes; a Hobby; a couple of Reed Warblers; a very pale Buzzard; and two Wheatears on the hay bales in the field to the rear of the hide. There was also a Kingfisher on the small pool with the platform in the woods at Catcott NR.

Don't know if anyone else has ever noticed the slightly spooky feel to the woods at this location?

Likewise my first visit this afternoon;

2 Marsh Harriers
2 Hobby
1 Wheatear
1 Reed Warbler
1 Sedge Warbler
1 Water Rail (Heard)
3 Little Grebes

Slightly belated (from yesterday)

1 Female Marsh Harrier
1 Kestrel
2 Buzzards
1 Bittern landing in the reeds quite close but didnt re appear :-(
7 Little Grebes (one fighting an eel)

Pics and vid on blog

Visited the splendid new hide with my partner today. One sour note - my car was broken into while we were there. I parked just off the road on the east-west drove. Fortunately only a few pound coins taken but a warning not to leave any valuables in the car.

That is bad luck Mike. Sorry to hear this but the pull in off the entrance lanes to the two hides is a potential, and in your case, real risk area. The track to the new hide is not very good but quite manageable in a car and is thus less obvious to naughty people.