Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Purple Heron

Out walking the dog West of New Bridge this morning and a very surprising sight indeed: a juvenile Purple heron flew just the other side of the river in front of us and landed not much further than a hundred metres away.

Re: Purple Heron

Simon, sounds excellent. Where is this please?
Andy.

New Bridge is on the river Tone, on Moor Lane which runs from North Curry to the A361.The Heron was heading west towards Knapp.

Thank you, Simon

On birdguides reported as present on Hay Moor today774

6-Aug-14
Spent a brief half-hour looking along the River Tone on Hay Moor this mid-afternoon without any luck.

6-Aug-14
Heard it was seen in flight later in the early evening, after I had left. Will try again tomorrow.

Sorry for late posting. I went out there this evening (6th), and saw the bird three times in flight and once briefly on the ground, all in the short period c1900-1915. It was north/west of the Tone in the general area of Currymoor Drove, viewed from by the sharp left-hand bend in the river at approx. ST310268, about 500m west of Newbridge Sluice, just past a large patch of Himalayan Balsam on the south bank of the river, and before a few willows on the other bank.

Initially seen flying away at c.150m range, at which point any suspicions that it might be just another of the all-too-frequent misidentifications of juv Grey Heron at this time of year went straight out the window, and apologies to Simon for even thinking it. I only had bins with me, so cannot be sure on relatively brief and not particularly close views whether it is indeed a fresh juvenile or an older immature, but certainly a Purple Heron, on both coloration and structure. Last seen (after a longish side-on flight view) going down near the drove, possibly into a rhyne, on the near edge of a field with sheep in it.

Hobby and Whitethroat among other species seen (and Grey Heron).

Great find, Simon!