Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Noah's Lake Shapwick Heath

2 Common Sandpipers and one Common Tern resting on the tree stumps in Noah's lake at 1400 this afternoon. Plus a report of 3 Green Sand Pipers on Walton Heath Ham Wall. Autumn has arrived!

Re: Noah\'s Lake Shapwick Heath

A vote of thanks to the Natural England team who have today cleared the Birch that was obstructing the view from in front of Noah's Hide! Only birds of note this afternoon were a juvenile (ginger) Black Headed Gull first I've noted here this year and a flyby male Goldeneye

Re: Noah\\\'s Lake Shapwick Heath

Failed to find the Golden Eye this morning, instead located a male N A Ruddy Duck first I've seen on the levels for a while!

Re: Noah\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Lake Shapwick Heath

Goldeneye passing in front of Noah's hide this morning plus the male Ruddy near the tin shed. Possibly intending to visit the Commonwealth Games two Black Swans have arrived!

Re: Noah\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Alan of interest 2 male ruddy ducks at decoy hide on sat 12th of july i expect 1 been shot by now

Re: Noah's Lake Shapwick Heath

Finally managed one of the Ham Wall night herons this evening, flew up to a tree near the back of Noah's and stayed in sight around 20:25 - 20:45. Also, both escapee black swan still present along with a pair of kingfishers, and a marsh harrier. Also two juv marsh harriers and a different pair of kingfishers between Noah's and the Ham Wall car park.

Re: Noah\'s Lake Shapwick Heath

On Noah's Lake this morning 2 Black Swans didn't see them there yesterday!
The Common Tern family from Ham Wall relocated themselves to Noah's this morning around 0900 and all four were still present at 1300 hrs. Four Bittern Flights from Meare Heath Hide and a couple of Juv Marsh Harriers were over 70 Acres
Clouded Yellow (b'fly) seen now on two consecutive days near Meare Heath bridge and a mass mating of Red Eyed Damsel Flies (c.20) on emerging vegetation on Walton East pool yesterday was rudely interrupted by a juv Coot that worked out they would make a meal and dashed in and swallowed most of them!

Re: Noah\\\'s Lake Shapwick Heath

I wonder if the two Black Swans were flying around "an hour before sunset"?

Re: Noah\\\\\\\'s Lake Shapwick Heath

An early morning visit to Shapwick to start the month produced the family of 4 Common terns over Noah's, Male, female and juvenile Marsh Harrier, 2 GWE, 1 Bittern, the usual warblers including a Lesser Whitethroat but not a single Swift seen in a 2 hour visit. The breeding birds in Westhay have been gone for a few days so I will have to keep my eye out for passing birds to get one in August.

Re: Noah,s Lake Shapwick Heath

The family of 4 Common Terns eventually came together on Noah's by 1300 hrs. earlier (1030'ish) two saw off a large brown Sparrow hawk over the east of Loxton's and on returning to VP1 half a hour later a single Tern bravely chased a smallish probably male Peregine.
Two Bittern flights seen over Noah's and one from Meare Heath hide. 4 G.W. Egrets were on Ham Wall from VP2 this morning but I couldn't pick up any waders apart from Lapwing!
Once again a Clouded Yellow B'fly appeared just before I reached Meare Heath bridge but they won't stop for photo's

The weekend weather has washed out three active Great Crested Grebe nests on Noah's Lake, wave action rather than any change in the water level. Two of the birds were definitely on eggs as of Friday last.

Black Tern still present but at 4pm I noticed that an old friend was also back-an Osprey in the usual spot to the left of Noah's hide.

Osprey still present at 1730 when I left having been harassed by the LBB Gulls when it eventually went off to fish around 1700hrs it was pursued by a Marsh Harrier.

Osprey still present up until 1415 this (fri). seen to feed three times between 0800-1440. I turned up at 0915 no sign of the Black tern up to mid afternoon. I\'m hopeful of good news regarding draining the Meare Heath Scrape next week!

Osprey has happily sitting on a dead tree to the left of the hide. Flew about 10 feet and then sat some more. Was still present when I left (about 1:45).

Also
1 Female Marsh Harrier
1 Kingfisher
1 Great White Egret

A few distant pictures on the blog.

Osprey still there this morning. On same tree as described above, waited for 2 hrs for a flight and was rewarded with a 5 minute fishing lesson. Awesome too watch.
Also good numbers of sand and house martins, swallows and really good numbers of swifts.

At Noah's, the Osprey sitting being buffeted by the wind, then (reported) fishing, with two fish, one in each foot. 2 GWE at the scrape, and 1 juv & 1 ad fem Marsh Harrier flying around. 3 Black Tailed Godwits watched flying westwards into the wind, then flying round and disappearing to northwards. Possibly too windy for Hobbies, as none seen.

Re: Noah,s Lake Shapwick Heath and SCRAPE!

The Osprey was still present today up til 1500 when I left Noah's hide two Hobbies and a couple of Marsh Harriers passed by with a couple of Great White Egrets along the back edge.

MEARE HEATH.
The SCRAPE has had a new slide valve fitted to prevent leakage when it has been pumped down and the pump is now ON! It will probably take the best part of this week to get the water out.

That is "pumping good news", many thanks Alan for keeping on the case!
And thanks to Natural England also.

An early visit to pay my respects to the Osprey on Noah`s lake in time to see the bird catch its breakfast, an amazing spectacle.Returning along the track the ringed G-w- Egret was feeding on the scrape,and as I was about to leave the car park a considerable number of Lapwing flew over in four flocks.Pictures of Osprey returning with fish on website.

Great captures Jim - good work. Skimming through your Recent Images, you've also captured some excellent shots of several other raptors, eg. Honey Buzzard, Black Kite, Monty's and Marsh Harriers. Keep shooting! Best regards, Nick.

Lots of activity on Noah`s this morning ,the Osprey was still present , it took several flights to find and capture breakfast,at one time chased by several Lapwing, the arrival of a Black Swan that appears to be a juvenile made for added interest ,several loud shots from a 12 bore caused pandemonium amongst the large flock of Greylags who were then joined by any bird that could fly, a constant toing and froing by Kingfishers three seen in the air at the same time one eventually came and perched at the side of the hide to the delight of photographers and visitors, Little and Large grebes plus Little Egrets, and one sighting of a distant Marsh Harrier .Photos on Website.

Osprey still present this morning, it went fishing after an hour in absolutely pouring rain and took just six minutes to catch a sizeable fish (at its first attempt) at 1110, it fed and had n't moved up until 1430 when I left. So it's made Bank Holiday Monday again which is probably the sixth maybe the seventh? consecutive year that there's been an Osprey on this day on Noah's!
Only other bird of note was a fly over calling Greenshank, which I couldn't find on the scape when I passed by mid p.m. but then I could hardly see anything for the rain on my glasses!

Two Ruff flew east over Noah's around 1400. I left immediately for the scrape in the hope they had landed there but no luck. As with the 3 Greenshank seeen by Jeff this morning they disappeared possibly into the middle of 70 acres as two Greensands came calling from that direction around 1600 bringing the total on the scrape to 6. Good views of a walking Bittern and an adult female Marsh Harrier sitting on a bush were had from the double seat plus a distant Hobby flying over the wood south of 70 acres.

A dawn visit to Noah`s lake this morning was nicely timed to see the entire flock of Greylag make a close flypast in front of the hide, a magical moment, for a while I could not locate the Osprey its usual perches were deserted but finally found it directly in front of the hide,a sudden improvement in the light came at the moment the bird left it perch,after three attempts it returned with an enormous fish and settled to enjoy breakfast on a distance perch.Kingfishers were active, and G-c-Grebes were congregating in a flock of a dozen birds.I had noted many Egrets including two G-w-Egrets and numbers of waders when passing the scrape.two Buzzards seen at Blake Way.This mornings Photos on website.

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the present osprey is the same bird that has visited the area on previous Augusts?

Is it ringed? Does anyone know where it breeds / where it's migrating from?

Also, has anyone found a Nokia mobile phone by any chance? Had it with me in Noah's hide and Meare Heath hide last Friday (22nd), but haven't seen it since :((

Cheers, Pete

Osprey caught fish around 5pm, then sat on dead tree and feasted on it! Also kingfisher, common terns and 2 GWEs there...

Hallo Pete, Re lost phone, if you haven't already it would be worth giving Natural England local office a ring on 01458 860120
regarding the current Osprey (still here today); it isn't ringed nor have the birds that have been present around this date for the last 5yrs plus,so unless anyone knows differently its origin etc. is completely unknown!

Thanks, Alan, much appreciated. I guess it's very likely to be the same bird isn't it?

Osprey still present this morning

This pm on scrape:1 ad Curlew sand,1GWE,1 Water rail,good nos Snipe,1 redshank,5 Dunlin,4 Green sand,3 Ruff,some Blkwits,1 K'fisher-a nice selection!

An Ospre was on Noah's for a short time this morning; looking at photo's taken probably a juvenile, it left shortly after 1030 heading S.E.

Between 7.30 and 9.30 this morning.
Meare Heath scrape and hedgerows.
One Sedge Warbler
Two Song Thrush
One Little Stint
One Curlew Sandpiper
Three Ruff.
Usual assortment of ducks etc.

Meare Heath bridge/Noahs.

2 Bearded Tit close to the drain.
ONE PURPLE HERON. First seen over Noah's, circled twice then flew across 70 acres and last seen heading over Ham Wall.
2 Kingfisher.
2 Marsh Harrier.
30+ Wigeon.

Just one Green S'Piper to add to Martin's list of small waders on the scrape. Blk Wit's eventually totalled 247 give or take a couple and Knot numbered around 95 by 1300hrs. Both G'Wits and Knot must be feeding elsewhere as the majority do not appear to feed on the scrape.

Following the direction that the Purple Heron went off in, I had a look at Ham Wall VP2 where only 4 Ruff and half a dozen Snipe were visible, vegetation largely obscuring the view. The was mush clearing of veg and smoke around VP1 and needless to say no sign of the P. Heron there either.