Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dead Bittern

Sorry for not reporting a live sighting but was amazed and saddened to find a dead Bittern in our garden in Walton this morning. Very difficult to report on a Sunday. Still waiting for the RSPB to get back to me. It wasn't ringed. We assume it flew into the wall of our house. No marks on it. What are you supposed to do in such circumstances?

Re: Dead Bittern

I hve passed your posting to RSPB Ham Wall this morning hopefully they will be in touch2

Thanks. I did speak to them and was told to dispose of it. Seems such a shame for such a fine bird.

Have you disposed of it yet ? Surely someone might be interested in it for showing its feather's or taxidermy for educating people ? Its the closest anyone would ever come to one !

Ask the Somerset County museum they did take unusual birds to mount for educational purposes.

And if they do not want it, if it is in good condition, I would love to take it off your hands and get it mounted.

If the bittern is not suitable for mounting,we could use the skull, feathers etc. for educational purposes, many thanks.

Be aware of regulations (that are part of the Wildlife and Countryside Act) that cover the possession of animals eggs etc even if they are deceased. I would suggest you seek advice concerning any possesion or transfer rememembering that the Bittern s a schedule 1 species under that act.

Monty Python may have a use for it in their new stage show.

Any reputable Taxidermist is I believe required to apply a sticker to a mounted/cased bird/animal that has a unique Dept of Environment registered number on it. This number when investigated should tell you who mounted it , when , and under what circumstances the specimen was collected, i.e , 'flew into window' , car collision , etc . This sticker is required by a lot of auction rooms on specimens that are not antiques or they could be prosecuted for selling it under the act that Alan mentions above. If you want it mounted I am sure it would be ok so long as there is no evidence of shooting/poisoning etc. I have a lovely stuffed Bittern that was shot on West Sedgemoor in 1902 by a Curry Rivel local !

P.s. if anyone finds a bird/animal that they want mounted - to keep it in the best condition put plenty of tissue in the mouth and around the anus,(so that when it defrosts body fluids don't leak onto feather or fur and stain them ) ,then wrap the body in lots of tissue ,then newspaper and plastic bags - the MOST important thing before putting it into the freezer is INSULATION - so that if it is in there for any length of time the skin doesn't get 'freezer burn'. Well wrapped and insulated the specimen is ok in the freezer for many years while you save up to have it done !

P.P.S. a skilled taxidermist using modern techniques/chemicals/materials can mount a specimen in any life-like pose ,that is a world away from the stiff ,googly-eyed ,shrunken specimens that you often see done in days of yore by all but the best practioners. Personally I think it is better to see beautiful creatures preserved for people to see,admire and learn from than left as a heap of maggots and a stain on the road. ppps - re flys eggs - remove what you can but don't worry -the freezer will kill the rest...