Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Strange encounter with a Buzzard

I thought it would be worth sharing a bit of buzzard behaviour that I have never seen before. While on the slopes of Collard Hill near Street, below me, I was aware of Buzzard flying along the slope, just above tree top height, it went back and forwards a couple of times but always looking up at me.

Buzzard

Nothing unusual in this but then it started to climb and rose higher and higher. As it was climbing it was mewing, and drifting away from the slope towards the South.
Then all of sudden it folded back its wings and started a high speed dive but unusually its angle of decent was taking it straight at me. I stood “frozen” to the spot as it got closer and closer, bigger and bigger. Only at the last moment did it pull out, turn to the left, right in front and then disappear. The speed of approach was incredible and an awesome sight, never have I seen a Buzzard apparently fly directly towards me!! Just left me speechless and will probably never be repeated.

Re: Strange encounter with a Buzzard

Made for an amazing picture!

Occasionally you hear of buzzards attacking people who inadvertently go near their nest sites. For example, there were reports of cyclists being attacked on one particular road section on Exmoor a few years ago.

That is a great account of a very interesting observation - and a fabulous photo!