Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
white stork

A white stork in the field with combine harvester. Also 7 red kites And ccountless buzzards and gulls at chilworthy near chard.

Re: white stork

17-June-14
Unfortunately, the combine had move out of the field to be replaced by a bailer, by the time I arrived at 11:00 am. A 2 hour search of the immediate surrounding area failed to find the stork, only a single Red Kite, a few Common Buzzards, and a Spotted Flycatcher.

Ditto Jeff's experience at the same time - we did a big 'figure of eight' all around the area and did find some newly cut grass fields , but apart from the Kite when we first got there all we could find were flocks of Gulls...and a burger van - result !

Ignore the above - just seen on Twitter that the Stork was back in a nearby field just after 1pm with a Combine harvester !

Sorry - above should read just after 3pm..

Ditto above!! Just spent 2+ hours driving 'all' the lanes in area & still no sign of White Stork!
A grid ref would have been useful ;-)

It appears that the Rare bird message on Twitter this afternoon may have been them late in picking up this mornings news off of this website - when I read it I assumed it was current news ? Had another hours drive around from 5pm to no avail...

Portland Observatory Tweets are reporting presumably the same bird at Chilton Cantelo following a Tractor Mowing a field next to the River Yeo and about 200 metres from the perimeter of Yeovilton Airbase.

Bit of late news - My next door neighbour has just told me that she saw one at 8.15am yesterday from a Berry's Coach in a field of long grass on the left as the coach went over the flyover from the A303 turning into Ilchester.

I was doing a survey this morning at Westhay and a White Stork glided over and headed northwest. There's got to be more then one that's visiting us !

Reported on Internet this evening is;
4 white storks over Bath City Centre tonight 7 15ish

The storks were apparently heading East