Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Yeovil Raptors

A great afternoon for raptors around the North of Yeovil this afternoon. A probable honey buzzard over heading South at 1600 (Very pale underneath, though in bad light, only obvious features on under wing was dark outer-converts but perhaps had some mottled markings on body. Wings held back in typical honey buzzard posture with a far-projecting head, with tail about half the length of the wing.)

Also, a peregrine east over Lark Hill around 1630.

Re: Yeovil Raptors

Also, for anyone interested, one black-veined white butterfly near Yeovil Openspace this afternoon.

hi Oliver, brill`s sighting must have been blown in from the near continent, the black-veined white has been extinct in this country since the 1930`s ,wish I`d seen it .Chris Thorne

No sign of the black-veined white this afternoon as one might expect.

No Black veined or raptors but I had my first Painted Lady butterfly in my Westhay garden this morning.

Oliver - may I respectfully suggest that, given that it is extinct in britain with only a tiny handful of sightings (the last I think in 2007) the black-veined white you reported was something else - green-veined white? if you do want to claim a sighting like this you really need to supply a photo so that others can check it...

It definitely was not green-veined white. This clearly showed the black vein pattern above and below the wing with no dark spots or other markings visible. I am unaware of any other British or European species resembling this, though of course I'm open to suggestion. I can try to search again for it tomorrow morning, though I would imagine it would have moved on by now?

One was seen on the 8th June 2013 at the Portland Bird Observatory, by a single observer. Not sure if there were any other UK records last year.

No sign after nearly an hours searching this morning, but was surprised to find a hummingbird hawkmoth feeding alongside the stream this morning. A first for the site I think.