Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Black-Winged Stilt Mere Heath Lagoon

My husband has just called me and asked me to report that he has seen a Black-Winged Stilt at Mere Heath Lagoon. With Black Tailed Godwits and seen at 10:25am

Re: Black-Winged Stilt Mere Heath Lagoon

23-May-15
Thanks to the prompt posting, we were watching this bird by late morning and it was still present when we left at 12:45 hrs, though sometimes out-of-sight below the vegetation along the near bank.

A photo on my website below.

It was still there at 3.30, but often hidden from view below the near bank and vegetation

After seeing the Black-winged stilt i noted on the Scrape one of the Black Tailed Godwits had a Geolocater attached to it plus coloured leg rings, feeding with the 60+ Godwits.The information has been sent off to BTO so will be intresting to see if i hear of its travels

Still present at 2030 this (Fri.) evening

Saturday between 5.30 and 6.45 am Stilt stll present, together with 2 Marsh Harriers, 4 Great White Egrets,separate individuals, Kingfisher, several Bitterns booming and 2 cuckoos interacting.

still present 8.15 this morning along with 1 redshank ,23 black tailed godwits ..also a nice dog otter working along the reeds on the left hand side of the scrape..

Glad the bird stayed and everyone saw it. Lots of other spring "goodies" on view during my visit despite the rain. One worth mentioning was a male Goldeneye which flew across Noah's Lake.

Cropped picture of the Stilt on my flickr page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9095732@N05/?details=1

PS My wife apologises for spelling Meare the Wiltshire way "Mere" - hope no one took a wrong turning!

Still there at 12:35, cracking bird!

Worth keeping an eye-out for this male Goldeneye and possibly his partner with ducklings, as they have bred in South Bucks this year!!!

Yes, was showing very nicely all through the morning at the front of Meare Heath. Also between there and the car park, singles of cetti's, sedge and garden warblers, a small flock of bullfinches and a kingfisher, which I saw fly over the car park on 3 different occasions, and a bittern over Meare Heath around 9:30.