Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cheddar reservoir

This afternoon - 3 common sands near the Axbridge entrance, but constantly being disturbed.

Close by the Cheddar tower the rather strange sight of a male tufted duck closely associating with a female mallard and her five ducklings.

Re: Cheddar reservoir

That family group have been together for a while and it is a miracle that the host of gulls have not devoured the ducklings by now.

a good assortment of Swift[6+] swallows and house martins over 50 in all, youngish northern wheatear on the western edge,and a group of 4 young goldfinch along the cycle path chasing older g'finches for food[around 6pm]along with blackcap and chiff chaff

6 Common Sand this morning along with a rather unseasonal Goosander. 1 Lesser Whitethroat still singing near the Cheddar car park.

been 3 grey wagtails around for about a week, a tree creeper on the access road from Axbridge and along the cycle path several whitethroat amid the grass close to the middle section of the route..... varying numbers of canada geese from 6-23 over the last fortnight

off to the left of res from Sharpham road which is Middle Moor lane leading to Stubbington Drove[trackway],several Chiff Chaff chirping away, a pair of Reed Warblers just 3feet from me , mouths laden with moths on a feeding run, and several other RW'S as i went along,solitary Willow Warbler, 3 female Chaffinch two Greenfinches,of which i have seen very few this year, Swallow and Swift darting between the tees getting ample food supplies,and in the last field on the left before the river [Cheddar Yeo] 4 adult Reed Bunting and about 7 juveniles with them, adult birds have been noticable there over the last 4 weeks,

In addition to my previous post, this morning threw up a male linnet [first for me ] and a single whitethroat, also in the field across the river several skylarks in full voice but not visible

8 mute swans this morning along with 17 canada geese,feeding in the bed of lilies near the Axbridge gate, and a slow increase in the number of coots this week up to around 3 dozen including good numbers of young birds, 3 common sandpipers there on thursday morning

a group of 11 common sandpipers early this morning

Singles of Common Sand and Redshank this morning along with a Juvenile Little Grebe and a Little Owl in broad daylight.

Single Oystercatcher this am but counted over 20 Common Blue butterflies! Little Owl (dusk on 17th) and 2 Common Sandpipers on Friday (18th).