Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Whimbrel - Ham Wall/Meare Heath

This afternoon a flock of around 30 whimbrel flying around Ham Wall. They eventually settled in the grass, just beyond the water at the second viewing platform.

On the Meare Heath side were four whimbrel on the scrape, together with the wader species mentioned in Alan Ashman's posting.

Re: Whimbrel - Ham Wall/Meare Heath

15-5-14
3 Whimbrel flew north over Berrow Golf Course this morning, so still a few about.

I was greeted at the first platform by two squabbling Bitterns, one giving chase to the other. They flew around for a good minute or so before one landed in the reeds and gave me a great view of his golden plumage.
The marsh harrier was present again this evening along with sparrow hawk and cuckoo on the far left within the dead trees.

From the torr view hide two cuckoos in flight together and also a single common sandpiper on one of the wooden platforms in Walton's. I also saw what I thought may have been a single goldeneye in flight??? It wasn't a Tufted duck. Any ideas?

Lee, I thought I was seeing things this afternoon when a single Goldeneye fly over at the back of Meare Heath - glad someone else saw it!

Kevin,
Thanks for your posting, as I thougt they flew off to Scotland spring time and spent the summer up there.Some one might put me right though. I'll have to read up!
Have a great weekend spotting. Should be plenty of soaring raptors tomorrow!
Lee.

There was a single goldeneye clearly visible at the back of Noahs early this morning with a group of Tufties. I too thought I was seeing things...

Male Goldeneye still present on Noah's this morning. A single Common Tern also there-my first one on the Levels this year.