Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Warblers Queen Sedge Moor

Yesterday's very showy Sedge Warbler on Queen Sedge Moor was a nice surprise as I don't see too many on the Moor. Imagine my deight this morning with the bird from Yesterday still showing well in the same place and 3 others found with 2 of them giving good views.

Also this morning in a 45 min watch;

4 Lesser Whitehtroats inc a very good views of one of them
6+ Common Whitethroats
1 Willow Warbler
2 Chiffchaffs
2 poss 3 Reed Buntings

At last I have been able to pin down an unusual high pitched fast rattling type song. A Chaffinch!!

Re: Warblers Queen Sedge Moor

John,

Reckon I heard the "same" song from a Chaffinch a few weeks ago. Very much quieter and completely different; but nevertheless a true song rather than a call. Beautiful. Thought I'd come across something really interesting up in a tree and I was right underneath it, when it changed tack and burst into its usual Chaffinch song!

Also, had a nice Sedge Warbler at Stathe yesterday, while checking out the Crane feeding area. 45spp in 30 mins, including Little Owl. But no Cranes. We await the final introduction.

Also, there must be some suitable pun on "more Sedge Warblers on Queen's Sedge Moor"...

3 Sedge Warblers still holding territories in the same places as previously, they have stayed! 7 Common Whitethroat and singles of Reed Bunting and Lesser Whitethroat.
A fledged Song Thrush also seen.

A least 6 Sedge Warblers this morning up to 6.35am. 13+ Common Whitethroats and a handful of Reed Buntings. No Yellow Wagtails seen this Year.

After a 2 week+ break of 'silence' a single Sedge Warbler was singing very strongly this morning.