Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Stone Curlew

Just (1750) got a call from Rog Musgrove to say there's a Stone Curlew on the main lagoon at WWT Steart Marshes.

Re: Stone Curlew

I found it at about 17:30, it was right at the far side of the lagoon from the viewing ramp nr. the Marsh Fm car park - look to the right of the Soay sheep grazing area, on the far bank of the lagoon (line of sight towards Borrow pit parking lay-by), the bird was in the vegetation, sometimes showing on the edge. We couldn't see it from closer viewpoints, so if its still there you may have to be satisfied with distant views.
My second for this site!

Just to confirm so that visitors go to the right place - please park at the main WWT Car Park on Stert Drove and not at Marsh Farm which is a private residence. From the car park walk east along the new path heading towards the River Parrett, and after 5 minutes walk up to the viewing point situated at the top of the new embankment on your left https://twitter.com/WWTSteart. Thanks

This was were all would-be twitchers of this bird looked from this evening, sadly without success. A partial summer-plumaged Curlew Sandpiper was decent compensation,and one Egyptian Goose still present also.

Dick Best will be looking for the bird early morning - here's hoping it sticks.

Any news on this bird today, was it looked for?

Hi David,

I understand that at least one observer was on site around dawn this morning but did not relocate the bird.

I met with Tim (Project Manager) and Alys (Warden) mid-afternoon and they were not aware of any further sightings today.

Finally, I spent a few hours at the viewpoint until evening and did not see any Stone Curlew. I was predominantly skywatching but did scan the area around the lagoon a few times without success.

Sorry not to be able to provide more positive news.

Best regards,

Nick