Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ham Wall

Ham Wall welcomes new arrivals ,Pair of Coots ushering along five chicks, seen from causeway hide.

Re: Ham Wall

Ham Wall this morning 02-05-2014 An overcast start to the day and rather cold ,"never leave a clout till Mays out" Hedge Sparrows were seen along the track to Ham also several Swifts. From the causeway hide a Cuckoo, soon after followed by a Bittern flew across from left to right, two G-w-Egrets, one Little Egret fishing close to the hide,a pair of G-c-Grebe spent some time reaffirming their marriage vows , pretty to watch, Bitterns booming perhaps three birds from different compass points, great activity be numerous Grey Herons. Yesterday 02-05-2014 walking along the Sweet track I spotted what I took at first to be a very large Hornet,don't be silly James ,it was a newly emerged Broad- bodied- Chaser, thank goodness I had my Macro lens surely one of the most beautiful of Dragons, Hairy Dragon also seen on previous day.

Good to see early dragonflies - Hairy seen a week or so ago near Westhay!

5 hobbies, 7 buzzards, 3 marsh harrier, 3 cuckoo heard all from 1VP. Hobby, 2 marsh harrier, garganey and 20 whimbrel from 2VP this morning. GW egret from both. Lovely songbird heard and seen again.

what's a lovely songbird Lee?? I've tried my European fieldguide but drawn a blank!