Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ham Wall

16-04-2012 A bight but cold morning start but rewarded by two Bittern flights a male and a female if size is an indication to the delight of some visitors. Sparrow Hawk alighted in a small bush to the left of the hide unfortunately on the far side of bush, one Mole seen and photographed. Two days ago the 15th had the good fortune to spot a Water Rail that kindly presented itself in full sunlight, a pretty bird indeed.

Re: Ham Wall

19-04-2014 A cold and frosty start to the morning at Ham Wall but a hive or should I say a pond of activity with four Bittern flights , three were different birds one landing close by ,in flight pictures suggest it had a full crop, a Little ringed Plover several Water Rail fighting and a violent clash by two Great crested Grebe, one male Marsh Harrier seen, six male Pochard trying to woo two female ,lots of flying demonstrations by Tufted Duck and several Herons.Cuckoo was heard towards Walton Heath.Yesterday 18-04-2014 at Shapwick Heath western end pair of Blackcap and a Common Whitethroat. a trip to Priddy ponds (I think it may be out of area) two Ravens a pair of Coots with four chicks, at home a female Goldcrest and a Holly Blue butterfly bringing my total to ten so far this year.