Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
An evening at Ham Wall

A stunning evening at Ham Wall this evening. A wide variety of birds seen and heard on our walk around Waltons. The calling of a Cuckoo as soon a we approached the walk. After a scout around we got a great view of the bird high in the trees in the bottom right hand corner of waltons, this was at approx 19.20pm
Several Blackcaps, Cetti's warbler, sedge warbler and booming bitterns and marsh frogs. An abundance of choff chaffs and the beautiful song thrushes singing high in the trees.

Now off home to attend to the bites from the millions of midges!!

Re: An evening at Ham Wall

Spent two hours on Walton's this evening.

Cuckoo's heard - none
Cuckoo's seen - none

Typical....my boogie bird

Not been able to get down to Ham Wall since Christmas :-(

Have they finished the new car park down there yet?

Jamie,
The Carpark should be completed in Autumn. The peat has had to dry out and I believe planning restrictions meant construction could only happend during certain times of the year?
Ham Wall is a great reserve (as I'm sure you know) so you should visit soon! RSPB information wardens will be waiting for you on the first viewing platform most days now so feel free to sign up!!

And better luck next time Cliff. Tuesday was so easy to see cuckoo. ;)

Thanks for the info about the car park. Yes, I'm very familiar with Ham Wall, but I've been away since Christmas so haven't been able to get down there.

And don't worry... I've been a member of the RSPB, WWT and Wildlife Trusts for over 25 years.

18-Apr-14
Early evening today: 8 sightings of 3 or 4 Bitterns, including 1 walking in the open and 2 standing up tall in the reed edge; 3 Grt W Egrets, 2 Swifts, House Martin and a calling Cuckoo that wasn't visible.