Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Swallows

6 swallows over our roof, watched from our attic room, Coleford, whilst failing to pick up on an Osprey that was heading my way!

Re: Swallows

My first Swallow of the year at Towntree Nature Reserve.
JR.

Four swallows on the usual wires in Chilton Trinity today and one of our wintering green sands still in nearby rhyne.

First swallow of the year for me today, single bird on overhead wire next to Aller Farm - near to Williton - and displaying Skylark's over the fields on a very enjoyable stroll from Williton to Monksilver and back via the Notley arms
Also several calling Yellowhammers near car park at Staple Plain, Quantocks.

First local swallows of the year here in West Chinnock this afternoon, 5 flying low and purposefully in a westerly direction around 17.15, followed by singles.

Also great to witness some buzzard behaviour today. Had read about the 'angel' & 'fallen angel' postures in Robin J Prytherch excellent article on the social behaviour of the Common Buzzard, but today was the first time I've seen them in the field, great to watch, and livened up a grey dreary afternoon.

After many days of fruitless searching among the flocks of Sand Martins, I finally ticked a Swallow resting on a telephone line near my house yesterday.

3 flirting the western edge of Cheddar Reservoir this morning