Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ham Wall, Shapwick, Canada farm, Tealham 22nd Feb

Finally some sun!

Ham Wall
2 Bitterns at VP2, fairly distant.
Male and female Marsh Harrier (on our return journey)
Brief view of a Kingfisher

Shapwick
Plenty of Stonechat flitting around
The Penduline wasn't heard or seen

Canada Farm:
3 Kingfishers

Tealham:
1 kestrel
Loads of egrets and herons

Re: Ham Wall, Shapwick, Canada farm, Tealham 22nd Feb

Any sign of three Sibe Chiffchaffs reported at Shapwick yesterday afternoon?

Didn't see them. But I wasn't looking. Nobody mentioned them...

Hi all, it was myself and Pete Clark that found the Sibe Chiffchaffs at Shapwick yesterday. They were in a larger group of 30 chiffs and one was heard calling. They were on the path to decoy hide.

A group of 30! CC together would be something of a record?

It was very impressive. First bird we saw was a Sibe which gave the flat peep call which brought in another Sibe and 5 Colybita. This was one sub group and then 200m along we had a group of 20 with a single Sibe looking bird which didn't call. In between there were 2 or 3 other chiffs calling from the wood unseen. When we returned from the hide the birds were more strung out and we didn't see a definite Sibe again but it was getting late and the light wasn't great.

Spent a few hours at shapwick yesterday afternoon, didn't go down the decoy track though, no Chiffchaffs seen at all, will try again soon! Great record!

Just two chiff Chaffs today on walk to Decoy hide, one bird near the hide looked good for Siberian, but having double checked calls it wasn't a Tristis. Also of interest a few Lesser Redpoll, a drake Goldeneye and a Bittern heard.

Still 4 Chiff Chaff around path to Decoy hide again, late this afternoon, two at least were buffy brown birds with distinct buff supercilium but all were completely silent in the half hour or so I was there.