Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Kumlien's Gull - Torr Res

Posting on Birdguides of juvenile in roost early evening (17:15) at Torr Works Reservoir.

Presumably found by Bruce Taylor?

Re: Kumlien's Gull - Torr Res

Guilty as charged!
Apologies for the late posting but as you'll see from the cary crane thread I've had a rather busy day. There was also a small post-gull roost celebration to be had!
So a kumlien's finally had the decency to drop in to torr at last, after years of patient winter waiting. I've sat through sleet, snow, hail, storm force winds, torrential driving rain and temperatures so low that I thought my fingers would fall off, but today it paid off. I saw the kumlien's drop into the roost at 5.15 but it took a further 10 minutes to re-find it among the masses on the water. This bird wasn't in the roost last night. This is a juvenile/first winter bird and its features are subtle but distinctive. Look for the smallish herring type gull with the long dusky primaries and dark bill. If you are visiting Torr Res, please remember to park sensibly near the school or at the end of the lane. Don't attempt to drive up the muddy, pot-holed track. Wellies are essential. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first kumlien's gull for somerset.

Fantastic find Bruce, well worth all the effort I imagine!

The kumliens came in to roost again this evening at 5.08pm.(per Richard Hastings)

No sign of the kumliens in blustery conditions this evening, but a 1st winter Iceland gull was new in. Also single med and 2 yellow-legged gulls.

The juv kumlien's gull was back at Torr again this afternoon, performing well from 4.20 until 4.48pm when it flew north west. It didn't return by the time darkness fell, so the chances are that it went to the roost at Chew. Single green sand was the only other bird of note.

No sign of the juv Kumlien's Gull this afternoon, but Rog found a new juv Iceland Gull which came in around 4.30pm and roosted - definitely a different bird from the one seen last Tuesday. Also 2 adult Med Gulls.

No sign again of the Kumlien's in the roost tonight (no surprise there, it wasn't a Sunday ;)) but a juv Iceland again, which appeared to be the bird from 4 Feb, not the one from 10th.

The Iceland gull was in the roost again this afternoon from about 5.20. Nothing else of note, although large numbers of gulls were still coming in at 6.05 by which time it was too dark to identify them!