Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Huntspill Sluice

There have been up to 14 goosander, including 6 drakes, on the stretch between Sloway Lane and the sluice this past week, also 100+ avocet on the Parrett. None of either late this morning, but there was a merlin perched up on the old bank out on the saltings to the south of the sluice, a bit distant through bins, but looked like a male. 2 spotted redshank in the spillway, together with the usual shelducks, little egrets, herons, teal, common redshank and a few curlew, and a female stonechat in the bushes on left side of spillway.

Re: Huntspill Sluice

2 Spotted Redshanks still in the spillway on the falling tide this afternoon. One was feeding with an exaggerated sideways sweeping motion of its bill - perhaps it's been watching the Avocets...

That's how I often pick them out at range Julian. The spotted redshanks on the right bank below the spillway always seem to 'sweepfeed' in the shallow water like avocets. Never seen common redshanks do it. 9 goosander just above the sluice yesterday (3 drakes, 6 redheads). Disturbed by my proximity crossing the sluice, 6 flew off upstream and 3 hopped over the sluice and landed in the estuary. There were also about 100 avocet on the far (Steart) bank, and a large roost of knot, common redshank and dunlin on the Huntspill estuary bank on the rising tide + curlews and numerous shelduck scattered over the saltings.

Interesting, Richard - I don't think I've ever noticed them doing that before. Perhaps it's a tactic they only use in faster-flowing water, or perhaps I just haven't been very observant. A useful tip, so thanks.

Most of the spotted redshanks I've ever seen have been just below the fast flowing Huntspill spillway which is local to me. I only once saw one feeding in the same sweeping fashion in still water, on the Meare Heath drained lagoon. So you're probably right about it being mainly a feeding method in flowing water Julian.

2 spotted redshank on right-hand side below Huntspill sluice spillway around 1130 this morning, again feeding like avocets.

Yesterday morning the avocets were on the Huntspill side, just north of the outfall, and there was still one spotted redshank in the spillway. This morning there was still one spotted redshank in the spillway and the avocets were on the opposite bank, up Stockland Reach where I could see a birder, apparently surveying, and another by the gate to the north, halfway between the sluice and the sewage outfall. Probably doing one of the regular surveys for EDF? Also 6 goosander and 2 cormorants fishing below Sloway bridge, common redshanks, dunlin, curlew, little egrets, herons, teal, shelducks and a few grey plovers on the estuary mud. Quite a few singing skylarks about too.

A fresh breeze at Huntspill this morning before high tide. Plenty of the usual common waders including over 100 Avocet and 30 Grey Plover. A passing female Merlin disturbed the smaller waders but the many Redshank ignored it. No sign of a Spotted Redshank but Grey Wagtail, Stonechat and Skylark were all noted. There were 2 female Goosander close to the main channel and 2 more on the Huntspill behind the sluice.

Why are EDF doing bird surveys there? is it related to a wind farm application.

Not sure Simon. I've seen the same chap also surveying further up the Parrett, on Pawlett Hams opposite Combwich in the last couple of weeks.
On a very quick visit to the sluice this morning around 10 o'clock, before a productive day out at Slimbridge, there were 2 goosanders in the estuary and another 2 on the river below Sloway. Tide was high, so not much of a wader roost as far as I could tell, just a few curlew, heron and egret up on the bank.

Dave Chown and other surveyors have been monitoring birds at Huntspill, Steart and Hinkley for several years. I think it is related to the long term impact of the Nuclear Station and other changes along the coast. Not sure who is funding it.

Merlin perched up on the old bank out on the saltings to the south of the sluice this morning - same place as I last saw one on 2nd Feb above.

2 spotted redshanks in the estuary again this morning, and a kingfisher on the river. A fem/juv merlin and a couple of goosander had been seen earlier by two chaps doing a survey. The plot thickens: I didn't recognise either of them, (and I know Dave Chown by sight Martin), but when I asked if they were surveying for EDF they said "we couldn't possibly say". I know one of the regular EDF surveyors who freely told me that they were who he surveyed for, so why wouldn't these two? Maybe Simon's earlier comment about a wind farm or other planning application in the offing was near the mark? But surely not opposite the new Steart reserve and so soon after the West Huntspill application has just been rejected on appeal by the Secretary of State (contrary to the Planning Inspector's recommendation)? Not often I have anything good to say about Jabba the Hutt, but at least he got that one right.

Richard,

EDF appealed the decision on their 9-turbine application about 6-8 weeks before the Sec. State turned down Ecotricity's appeal. The timing seemed a little odd. However, Sedgemoor DC are currently working to oppose EDF's appeal. Ecotricity have 6 weeks to decide whether to go for a judicial review of Sec.State's decision, but this would be on a technicality hence further data would not play any part; so the surveyors are highly likely to have been from EDF unless there is something else in the offing that is not yet in the public domain.

2 spotted redshanks and 1 fem/juv merlin this morning. Large flock of starlings gathering for the off. Otherwise just the usual shelducks, curlew, common redshanks, a few dunlin, and teal in the estuary.
One of the surveyors was a little more forthcoming this morning: apparently they are surveying for EDF in connection with the new port at Combwich, for importing material for Hinkley C. He'd seen 2 med gulls flying upstream earlier.

6-Mar-14
Single Spotted Redshank feeding immediately below the Huntspill Sluice spillway at 13:30 today, 2.5 hrs after HW. No sign of any Avocets, and hardly any waders other than a very few Redshanks and Curlews.

The only other 'of note' was 3 Black-t Godwits feeding along the tidal edge of Stert Island.