Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Green-winged Teal at Ham Wall

Drake Green-winged Teal off the second viewing platform at 1435 (per Andy Mears).

Re: Green-winged Teal at Ham Wall

Thanks for posting, Julian. Terrible problems with my phone this pm - despite a good signal, it wouldn't call out or text for ages...

An eventful afternoon - I found a GWT in Pembrokeshire last w/e with Dave Gibbs so surreal to suddenly have another in my scope view this pm at 2VP. It was straight out at the back from the platform in with a large flock of Teal, Shoveler, Mallard, etc. I imagine it might prove elusive because the Teal were in and out of the sedges and reeds all the time. Appeared to be a full adult.

Also at least 3 GW Egrets (like the new hide thing) and at the car park over a coffee, a Sparrowhawk, Buzzard and Merlin all shot over at very high speed in the mounting gale.

A brief visit to Catcott where the hide felt like it was about to take off. Had to move a small tree off of the access track on the way out and 3 more were down on main roads on the way home...

Andy.

Not visible from 3:20 to 3:40 this evening, however there was a tree creeper, a single redpoll and a ringtail hen harrier at very high altitude.

Present again at 10am today, in and out of the reeds at the very back of the open water.

Spent three hours this afternoon, soaked twice, did I see it?
Nope!
Only two or three drake teal seen, none green winged!
Hey Ho there's always tomorrow!

The Green Winged Teal showed today for a while around 10.30 from VP2.

At that point it was at the back, just in front of the fence posts at the waters edge. That said it was very mobile and with a big group of Teal.

Posting on behalf of a friend. The GW Teal was seen a bit later on and a distant photo obtained!

Tomorrow (Sunday) was no better for me, three hours looking and still no sighting!
I obviously need to try much harder!

No sign of Green-winged Teal today (3Feb14) between 1320-1515h; could have been with the many Teal hidden in reeds to the rear far right of VP2, apparently content to keep out of the way of reed-cutting plant passing nearby from time to time.

Beautiful male Sparrowhawk perched in tree behind far reeds.
Peregrine over briefly, maintaining height, rather than passing for a kill.
Imm and/or female Marsh Harrier intermittently from VP2; plus a fine male at VP1.

Chiffchaff made brief visit to bushes to left of VP2.

Kingfisher perched in reeds immediately in front of VP2.

Several tens of Redpoll and Siskin in overhead flocks from time to time.

Still from 2VP this afternoon

Seen again this morning by Tom Raven, but I failed again in the last hour or so of light this evening.

Darke Green-winged Teal present again and showing reasonably well several times between 3.40pm and 4.30pm today. The Teal flock was closer and more visible than on previous visits, and the duck generally were quite skittish and mobile. Repeated flyovers by a male Marsh Harrier had something to do with that. Maybe 100 Teal and several hundred Shoveler off 2VP, plus 3 Marsh Harriers in total.

Also a Great White Egret midway between the two platforms, and a group of visiting birders also saw a Bittern over Walton Heath.

Drake Green-winged Teal showed for about 5 minutes around midday right at the back from the 2VP.

No sign yesterday afternoon, am destined not to see this bird obviously!