Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Short-eared Owls

At least 5 Short-eared Owls hunting in the WWT Steart reserve this evening i viewed from the Wall Common side near the road though they were on the other side probably seen better from the Combwich end along the Parret trail

Re: Short-eared Owls

2-Feb-14
And... from a posting today on Birdguides: four late afternoon between the lagoons and village.

Four, possibly five, Short-eared Owls this morning at WWT Steart Marshes from the Parrett Trail, also two Merlins and a Peregrine. At Stockland Reach large numbers of Dunlin, Redshank , Grey Plover and 16 Avocets (the main flock further up towards Huntspill Sluice). On the marshes equally large numbers of Lapwing and Golden Plover, the other bonus it was dry!

Is that walking from Combwich? I best get down there!

3 SEOS along the river. Possibly more as they were making brief flights.

A lifetime first for me. What great birds!

I took a photo of one...it actually turned out to be three!

Also a Merlin (immature or female I think). Picture on the website

Peregrine made a pass at a Redshank, but missed

Kestrel hover hunting

Female Sparrowhawk made a brief appearance also

2 Stonechats

Brilliant!

26-Feb-14
At least 3 Short-eared Owls hunting over Steart Marshes WWT late afternoon, from 16:35 onwards. We watched them thro' our 'scope from the embankment-top on the Wall Common side of the reserve. Also an obliging juv/female Merlin perching on the nearby line of high utility poles.

Earlier, on a rising tide, 7 Scaup (2 drakes) on the sea off Stolford, in the bay just west of the last house.

Just one Short-eared Owl seen this afternoon at 4 o'clock, hunting both sides of the embankment on the Wall Common side of Steart Marshes Reserve.