Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ring-necked Duck

A Drake Ring-necked Duck at Wimbleball Lake since Saturday afternoon last observed today 13th at the far end of Cow Moor Bay with Tufted duck flock

Re: Ring-necked Duck

Drake Ring-Necked Duck still at far end of Cow Moor Bay
Wimbleball Lake this pm with Tufted Duck flock .

Ring-Necked Duck still present early this afternoon with about 90 Tufted Duck

Ring-necked Duck on main lake near Bessom Bridge late afternoon. Also Goosander here which is unusual as they are nearly always at the dam end.

Drake Ring-necked Duck still present, 830am this morning, Cowmoor Bay, amongst 50 Tufties. Very smart plumage. Thanks for the postings - third visit of searching. I was getting Tufty-blindness.

Also pair of Wigeon; 9 Pochard;

splendid courtship displays by group of 9 Goosander (Cowmoor Bay);

and courtship display by gang of 8 gorgeous Goldeneye (Bessom Bridge), including drake diving down and sneaking up underneath another male from behind, to scare him into flight! Hilarious... (well maybe not for the discharged duck).

Hi Paul.Can't find Cow moor on the os.Could you email me please.John T.

The Ring-necked Duck still at Wimbleball Lake this morning off Bessom Bridge in amongst the Tufted Duck and Pochard. A Common Sandpiper in front the yacht club is the first I've seen here in January. Two male Goldeneye displaying to four females. A lot of disturbance due to shooting from the surrounding land and what looked to be a Teal recovered from the water by a gun dog.

Ring necked duck still there today with the tufties and pochard on the north side of the eastern extension of the lake opposite the sailing club which I take to be Cowmoor Bay. Easy to pick out once you get your eye in with two white bars on the bill and at its base and grey flanks with a white flash at the neck end.

Single redhead goosander at the hide end again but no goldeneye anywhere that I could see.

Song thrush singing (sort of)

Nigel Banks

Didn't see Ring-necked Duck this morning but Tufties in small groups all over the place. 5 Goldeneye (2 drakes) and 13 Pochard near Bessom Bridge and redhead Goosander by hide still.

Picked the Ring-Necked Duck out at Bessom Bridge end near the hide this afternoon but it was quiet mobile moving across to the bridge side and as Chris said there are several flocks of Tufties it can be with including a flock of 65 on the reserve side of the bridge thats also where i saw the Goldeneye

The Ring Necked was in the same sort of area today at 11am. Mainly in the small bay in front of the hide.

Also two Goldeneye further out.

Ring-necked Duck was right at the end of Hurscombe Reserve (north arm from Bessom Bridge) this afternoon but mobile. 4 Goldeneye there too.