Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Raptor Conundrum?

For the second winter running now we are experiencing very serious flooding on the Levels.
What has been noticeable again these past two weeks (as with last winter)have been the total absence of raptors on the South Levels (mainly West Sedge Moor, West and Wet Moors). Peregrine being the most noticeable absentee but also have Harriers, Buzzards and Kestrels. The latter are perhaps more understandable as their diet is more 'varied' but Peregrines of which I believe perhaps at least 6 are winter residents hereabouts have only ever shown interest in ducks of which there are very, very many about (last winter almost record numbers!).
Any thoughts?

Re: Raptor Conundrum?

Although I am far from an expert. I reckon that I have seen MORE Peregrines in the Greylake, Catcott, Westhay areas this winter than I have ever done in the past. This could be down to me getting a sharper eye perhaps. Or have the shifted to this area instead?

Re: Raptor Conundrum?

Even more worrying we have now 'lost' all our garden birds. Have not refilled my garden bird feeders for three days now! Perhaps they know something we don't, so as Sandra suggests I'd better perhaps start building an Ark?
(female Sparrowhawk this morning though)