Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Whooper swans

12 whoopers swans on a flooded Tealham Moor yesterday, still there today.

Re: Whooper swans

Also six Whooper Swans at Aller Moor this afternoon (three adults and three youngsters), seen from Stathe at c. 3pm. Two of the youngsters attacked and saw off a couple of adult Mutes. Also at least 38 of the Common Cranes present.

A brief visit to Catcott Moors this morning had 62 Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Dunlin and 1 Golden Plover among the usual waterbirds.

All the best

Hugh

12 Whoopers still present on Tadham(2)/Tealham(10) moor today, 5 of which were juvenile birds.

The 6 Whooper swans still on Aller moor also 3 Ruff and the usual bits and pieces ,the water level was just breaking the bank at Stathe end so more flooding looks likely

12 Whoopers were still present on Tealham this morning; comprising 2 distinct separate pairs and three other adults that were associating with the 5 juveniles. A flock of 50 Canada Geese were in the next field and driven into flight by walkers with dogs on Tealham Moor Soft Drove ( that's north of the North Drain) were 300+ Teal and several large flocks of Wigeon guestimated at at least 500 in total. The single Ruff and 8 Blk Wits were still on Catcott Lows mid day.

The Whooper Swans still present on Tealham Moor this afternoon.

Still present on Tealham Moor along with many Mutes. Managed a few pictures.

Also a hunting juvenile Peregrine who made a few unsuccessful attempts at what I think was a Meadow Pipit. Afterwards the Peregrine rested on a low tree providing excellent scope views in the sunshine. Stayed for about 15 mins. I took my eye off it for about 10 seconds and then it was gone - typical!

Also 2 Buzzards and a hovering Kestrel.

Re: Whooper Swans

3-Jan-14 (late posting)
12 Whooper Swans still present on Friday, as two distinct groups: 10, incl 5 juvs, plus 2 adults. At the western end of Tealham Moor on flooding between the main road and the North Drain.

Yesterday a.m. the two Whooper groups referred to by Jeff were well separated, 4 adults were at the west end of Tealham while the 'family' group of 3 adults and 5 juvs were east of Jacks drove and way to the north of Fir Tree farm.

The 12 Whooper Swans were all together again on Tealham Moor floods this afternoon.

Somewhat surprised to see a singleton Whooper sailing down the Parrett opposite the Huntspill sluice area this morning - presume it is the bird that has been hanging about on WWT Steart for a while?

The Tealham Whoopers were all present and correct at 1550hrs today. They usually seem to be hanging around the fringes of the Canada Geese flock which has now increased to 96 birds.
At 1610hrs I found a female Peregrine resting in the top of a Pylon on Allerton Moor between Mark and Rooksbridge, the first I've seen here all winter.

twelve whooper swans present today at 14.00.at the end of the straight road crossing Tadham/Tealham moor. Grid ref.402455

15 January. 10-15 Tealham Moor approx 200 yards E of where the North Drain crosses the straight road. Whooper Swans. 5 adult & 5 juv.

19-Jan-14
12 Whoopers still this afternoon, in two groups of 8 (5juvs) and 4, to the north of the main road about 400 metres east of the road-bridge over the North Drain.

Single adult Whooper Swan with Mutes in fields along Westhay Moor Drove,(near Westhay reserve car park) looking towards Meare. Also 60+ Little Egret, 2 Great White Egret & 1000+ Lapwing in adjoining fields.

27-Jan-14
The 12 Whooper Swans still on the flooded western end of Tealham Moor at mid-day, together with a flock of Canada's.

Also an adult male Peregrine, who's low level stoop put up flock of some 500 Lapwings and 80 Golden Plovers, and a small group of 5 Linnets.

10 whoopers today 30th at 1530 further up towards jacks drove now tealham waters subsiding

10 whooper swans at Catcot lows this morning..

Just 8 Whoopers on Catcott this lunchtime, plus 3 more on the field just S.E. of the car park on Daggs Lane drove on the Westhay Reserve

The 3 whoopers were still in the field 300yds east of Westhay reserve carpark yesterday 4th with c65 mute swans and 28 Little Egrets and a single Great White Egret.
No sign of whoopers today but little egret numbers all together raised to 58.

The group of ten Whooper Swans earlier reported close to the South Drain flew into Catcott Lows about 3pm.

Strange, I was at Catcott Lows this morning and ten were present and also reported in the log as being there the previous day. Does this mean we now have 20?? Did anyone visit Catcott this afternoon??

I was at Catcott Lows from about 4.30pm today and no sign of any Whoopers initially, but then at about 5.15pm the group of 10 flew in from somewhere to the left (i.e. from the direction of the South Drain) and landed on Canada Farm Lake, presumably to roost.

10 Whooper swan present from 12:30-1:30 when I left. They were towards the back of the reserve but easily seen with a scope.

Also a distant Marsh Harrier.

3 with Mute Swans by the road at Westhay this afternoon

10 Whooper swans viewed through scope at Catcott this morning.