Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Has There Been a Woodcock Moon?

Having recently read of the demise of the Woodcock locally in 'Somerset Birds 2012.' I was in Cinnamon Lane Park this morning, walking the dog, when I flushed one from a very small wooded area there. It came hurtling out of that area before gaining a good deal of height and ' swirling' away right-handed, towards the Street Road / Wearyall Hill area.
This is the first Woodcock I've seen in the lane since I flushed one at Bere Wall - many moons ago!

Re: Has There Been a Woodcock Moon?

This entry is out of area but i hope it is ok post. On thursday and friday in what i would describe as twilight i was driving back along the road between Dorchester and Sherborne and a Woodcock was flying along the road at hedge height looking very much like a cross between a bat and a giant moth. Perhaps the same bird was doing the same flight pattern several hundred yards down the road on the following evening. Lovely to see.

After a few failures in the usual places, I finally saw my first Woodcock of the autumn/winter in Shapwick Heath yesterday. It flew from close to the woodland path between the Sweet track and Decoy at around 14.00 yesterday.

Just seen this post - there were 2 Woodcocks in Aisholt Combe in the Quantocks yesterday

I flushed a bird which may well have been a woodcock (I don't have enough experience to be 100% sure) in Swell Wood on November 30th. It flew noisily and rapidly up to the canopy, and I was able to see the overall shape and the long straight bill.