Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Whooper Swans

2 ads 3 juvs with 77 Mutes Lyng Moor. View from drove 200m N of Hook Bridge.

Re: Whooper Swans

A party of 8 arrived on Noah's Lake just before midday today. Looking from the old railway track they were initially resting up near one of the bushy islands. When they were briefly disturbed we could see 3 adults and 5 juvs.

All eight birds were right in front of Noah's hide this morning

The eight Whoopers 3 Adult and 5 juvs were again on Noah's Lake this morning but lifted off at around 1045 spent 5 mins flying over the fields to the south then returned and dropped into Decoy Lake.

The group of 3 adults & 5 juvs. were again present on Noah's today between 10.45 and 12.15, all with their heads down tucked up behind the hut. Around 12.00 we became aware of two more adults together separate from the larger group. We had not noticed any of the 3 adults move away from the sleeping group so we assume there are now 10 birds.

Just 2 adults seen from the track opposite the benches past Noah's path yesterday pm around 4. Good look around revealed no others in their vicinity. Also water rail, GWE and spawk overflew starling roost.

seven whoopers on noahs this morning, showing well from the track in front of the tin shed..

All 10 present on Noah's Lake from 11.00 am, the group of eight plus two other adults keeping apart from the larger group but in the same general area.

All ten together on Decoy Lake this morning, till 1045 when they flew east to Noahs Lake.
One Bittern also at Decoy, NO diving ducks (yet?) though.

The family group of 8 Whoopers were close to the tin shed in Noah's at 14.30 yesterday-all resting in a tight group-then at around 15.00 from Meare hide, I saw the other 2 adults flying towards Noah's from the northern edge of Meare Heath.

The 8 Whoopers (3 Ad + 5Juvs)were again present on Noah's Lake this morning viewed from the main railway track. Very few dabbling Duck apart from Gadwall with a dozen or so Tufted. I counted 101 Greylags from the hide and there might have been a few more!

All 10 Whoopers appeared on Noah's Lake 11'ish this morning after the fog cleared. Also present were circa 130 Greylags a slight increase on my Monday's count.
Mid day Meare Heath hide produced three juv. Marsh Harriers in the air together including what I first thought was the dark brown model with no head marking but checking photos I took when it sat in a nearby bush shows it has a small cream mark on the crown that can easily be missed in flight. Later an adult female Marsh appeared.

What I assume to be the same whoopers, were on Decoy Pool this afternoon from 15.00, though not showing very well and spending a lot of time hiding in the reeds, making it difficult to be sure of the number present.
Interesting your note Alan on the dark headed marsh harrier with pale spot, it sounds like the one I noted at Canada lake on 23/11 and J.Gibbs photographed recently at Catcott Lows. One of the things I love about marsh harriers is how their differential plumages assist in the identification of individuals.